Evolution of movies
• First movies appeared in france, in 1890's
• Emergence of photography in 1830's
• documentary films, scenes from every day life
• 1877 muybridge set up natter ca,eras amd sjowed fill stired
• Requires tech innovation before film could appear, early development of
photography and art. Multiple phots illusion of movies
• The Horse in motion (eadweard Muybridge) - series of photgraphs that creates
illusion of movement.
• Kinetescope- film through projectors.edison company invented it in 1893-
1894charging at amusmtent parks.viewed by one person at a time see moving
• Auguste and louis lumiere invented motion pictures. 1895 - machine capture
moving images and project back - first exhibition of projected motion pictures. -
only shoot 45 seconds of film - produced photgraphic equipment - from france.
• In 1895 held screening for paying audiende market begging of cinmea or movies
• edison launched vitasope projector late 1800;s to compete with brother
• Inital films were static no movement. movment within the frame, scenes of
everyday life, Were in reality just documentaries also known as early films
• Fictional film displaced documentries in 1907
• Movies were looked down upon, for the lower class society. (working class
people), Imgrated class, could not speak english.
• coneslelation of commetical cutlrural activites
• amustment parks
• caudeville theatres - more expensive attracted iddle class audience, wealthy
armericas shunned movies - live perforamnces movies first permanenet home for
thaters - exhbition
• silent fiml attracted immigrant audiences
• first mass art entertaninment forms.
• production - orgnized around wone person cameraman - edison suing all
competitors. lumiere brothers left american markets rapidl
• distribution weak ling - only ehcibtion houses Film as working class medium
• cinmea that had mainly working class audnince primiarly centered on the
converns of american worksrs.
• most of these before 1927 no longer exsist
• cheap films.
• didnt need to rely on lauguage, cented int mertorpolitan cities NY
• Adopt melodramatic traditions, contrast between good and bad such as villians
and heros. from theatre as well
• paint on frame to get some color.
• The Train robbery movie- First blockbuster movie. very contreverisal thought it
would influence the public eye.
• Although Documentry films continue to be made known as news reels, which
would show worldly events. a part of the movies
• Experience of going to movies meant numerous films.