TEST 5 study notes.docx

4 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEOG 1400
Professor
Taly Drezner

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Physical Geography 1400 Study notes
Coral Reefs stay within the equator
Kelp stay near colder water
Species range is limited by a number of environmental factors
Exp. Temperature and salinity
Includes all biotic (living) and abiotic (nonliving)
Niche Concept
The specific area where an organism inhabits
The role or function of an organism or species in an ecosystem
The interrelationship of a species with all the biotic and abiotic factors
affecting it
Potential ranges- (including invasive species)
Environments where a species could live
Zebra mussels in the 5 great lakes an invasive specie
Asian long-horned beetle
Actual Range: (where the species actually live)
Areas of natural occurrence
Barriers may restrict spread of habitat areas
Dandelions can live anywhere
Endemic:
Restricted to a geographical area
Taxon:(Taxa, plural)
Groups of organisms that area related to each other
Distjunct distributions:
Animals that are scattered all around the world in different places (cant
beside by side)
Fairly recent common ancestors (alligators, Crocodiles)
May have been continuous in the past but discontinuous now.
Dispersal:
Movement or spread of seed to new location
Pregnant female or mating pair can start new life
Vicarine:
Population split by outside forces
Splitting continents from shifting plate tectonics (extinctions may have
caused)
Rising mountains
Climate change
Rising and falling sea levels
Evolutionary relicts:
Once widespread and now out competed
Magnolias today (threated to be extinct)
Glacial Relicts:

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Physical Geography 1400 Study notes  Coral Reefs stay within the equator  Kelp stay near colder water Species range is limited by a number of environmental factors  Exp. Temperature and salinity  Includes all biotic (living) and abiotic (nonliving) Niche Concept  The specific area where an organism inhabits  The role or function of an organism or species in an ecosystem  The interrelationship of a species with all the biotic and abiotic factors affecting it Potential ranges- (including invasive species)  Environments where a species could live  Zebra mussels in the 5 great lakes an invasive specie  Asian long-horned beetle Actual Range: (where the species actually live)  Areas of natural occurrence  Barriers may restrict spread of habitat areas  Dandelions can live anywhere Endemic:  Restricted to a geographical area Taxon:(Taxa, plural)  Groups of organisms that area related to each other Distjunct distributions:  Animals that are scattered all around the world in different places (cant beside by side)  Fairly recent common ancestors (alligators, Crocodiles)  May have been continuous in the past but discontinuous now. Dispersal:  Movement or spread of seed to new location  Pregnant female or mating pair can start new life Vicarine:  Population split by outside forces  Splitting continents from shifting plate tectonics (extinctions may have caused)  Rising mountains  Climate change  Rising and falling sea levels Evolutionary relicts:  Once widespread and now out competed  Magnolias today (threated to be extinct) Glacial Relicts:  Plants or animals widespread during ice ages now scattered in far north and on mountains Alfred Russel Walace and father of modern of biogeography  Zoologist created the evolution theory with Charles Darwin  Studied animals Bali and Lombok is separated by less than 100km of water Bali has South East Asian mammals Lombok has fewer mammals more of an Australian origin Wallace Line: The hypothetical boundary between the Oriental and Australasian zoogeographical regions, which runs between the Indonesian islands of Bali and Lombok Webers Line:  Australia’s continental shelf Adaptation and convergence  General principles: (genetic diversity)  Variability in all populations  Individuals express genetic traits  Interact with environments
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit