Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 1625
Professor
Sherry J.F.Rowley
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Entry 2
In this second portfolio entry I will be using the critical skill Reading
Contextually to explore themes and texts that relate and connect to the course. I will be
demonstrating this critical skill through the themes Labyrinths and Names & Power of
Naming, which are exemplified in the texts “The Garden of Forking Paths”, by Borges
and “She Unnames Them”, by LeGuin. The purpose of the critical skill Contextual
Reading is trying to understand text in context of our own time.
To begin, the short story “The Garden of the Forking Paths”, by Borges
exemplifies the theme of Labyrinths. While exploring this theme through Borges work I
discovered that Labyrinths are frequently constructed with natural material, embark on a
journey and hold something important at the center. They can be leading and misleading.
They are very similar to a maze. In “The Gardens of the Forking Paths”, we as the
audience see how the story begins in one place and it starts to take a life of its own. Just
when you think you know where you might be heading, you are moved into a completely
different direction leaving behind the felling of being a bit misled. In a tutorial we as a
class established how Labyrinths lead to journeys with unknown outcomes, a constant
danger of death and it also influences one’s identity. In my last entry I discussed the
notion of a “local”, which is a representation of a location. This notion is also exemplified
in the Borges story. As the main character is telling the story of her ancestors past she is
recalling the events from her memory talking about locations. The way she tells the story
reveals the ways certain events at specific locations influenced her life and the person she
has become.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version