Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 1625
Professor
Sherry J.F.Rowley
Study Guide
Quiz

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Response Paper 9
In this section I will be exploring a large variety of themes. These themes are Power of
story and storytelling, Power of language, Failure of imagination, Dominant Fantasy of
education, and Diversity of perspectives in the world. I will be analysing these themes through
the text Veronica Schanoes, “Rats”. In addition to that I will be using the critical skill “How/does
this move me to change my thinking/acting/world?” to develop my analysis.
To begin, in the text “Rats”, the author Schanoes tell the tale of a girl named Lilly. The
author emphasizes that this is just a fairy tales not reality. She talks about how the fairy tales told
today are all about happy endings. Children are taught to believe that things such as happy ever
after and true love exit. Through fairy tales children are taught to use their imagination and
believe in things that don’t exist. This is what Schanoes is emphasizing; fairy tales are not reality,
and happily ever after rarely ever happens. Not everyone gets to experience happy endings and
this is exemplified in the tale she tells about Lilly. Everyone looks at fairy tales in different ways.
Some people think that fairy tales such as Cinderella and Snow White can be useful to tech
children to believe I things such as hope and love. However, others believe that fairy tales are a
disappointment. They teach children to believe in an imaginary world that does not exit. The way
Schanoes tells Lilly’s story displays a powerful message to its audience. Lilly’s tale is not
anything like a typical fairy tale because it didn’t end with a happily ever after. As a matter of
fact the tale revealed more of reality. Schanoes uses the theme Power of language in her work to
persuade the audience of her message. For example, in the text it states, “Why are you still
reading? What are you waiting for? The kiss?” (Schanoes, 262). The question she poses are very
powerful, when we read the story we keep looking for a happy ending, but what the author is
saying that there is none. We assume that eventually our happily ever after will come but it does
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version