Study Guides (380,000)
CA (150,000)
York (10,000)
HUMA (400)
Quiz

HUMA 1625 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Charlton Heston, Columbine High School Massacre, Kmart

Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 1625
Professor
Sherry J.F.Rowley
Study Guide
Quiz

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Response Paper 8
In this section I will be exploring 2 themes. These themes are Political is Personal and
Perspective. I will be analysing these themes through the film “Bowling for Columbine”. In
addition to that I will be using the critical skills “To whom is this being told?” and “How/does
this move me to change my thinking/acting/world?” to develop my analysis.
To begin, the film “Bowling for Columbine”, is a documentary produced by Michael
Moore. The main focus of this documentary is the Columbine High School massacre in 1999.
Through this Moore raises the issue of gun control in the United States. Throughout his
documentary he showcases how adults as well as children are easily able to get access to guns.
For example, the 6 year old boy who shot a 6 year old girl in his class. Moore displays people’s
reactions to massacres such as the Columbine. For instance, the reporter who didn’t showed any
sympathy towards the 6 year old girl that was shot. Another example is Charlton Heston with the
National Rifle Association who continued to promote guns even after these tragedies occurred
and not considering the victims and their families. In addition to that, Moore compares United
States to Canada by analyzing both countries violence statistics as well as gun owner ship
statistics. He further establishes why violence is less is Canada in comparison to The States, and
states that Canadians deals with difficult, stressful situations not with weapons but words.
Moreover, Moore emphasizes how the society blames these violent behaviours of children and
adults on violent movies, television, entertainment, music, cartoons, news, society, and Marilyn
Manson. In the film Moore explores other alternative that could be the root cause of the violence
such as the President, he states that is it possible that it’s the president’s actions that are
influencing people in the country to commit such violent acts. As a result the way Moore
presents these issues is biased. He presents the audience with what he wants them to see. This
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version