HUMA 1951 Study Guide - Final Guide: Lorde, Intersectionality, Structural Inequality

103 views2 pages
26 Mar 2015
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Definitions: social construction society creates us i. e. shapes/makes us into social entities. We will critically revisit this conceptualization in this course: sex/gender logic: dominant discourse claims that (biological) sex is fixed and the basis of producing gender (i. e. male = masculinity; female = femininity). Feminism: a critical perspective that makes visible the inequalities between men and women; understanding that this unequal relationship is socially constructed and can be changed; advocacy for women"s autonomy. 19th to early 20th century (equality and rights: second wave: 1960s (critique of patriarchy; broadening debates about structural inequality e. g. race, sexuality, etc. , the personal is political ; intersectionality; critique of singular/fixed meaning of woman"). Third wave: and strategies; intersectionality; critiques of categories) feminisms. 1990s (critique of patriarchy; multiple feminist standpoints, analyses: critique of power & oppression: unequal power relations, structures of inequality, discrimination, marginalization, violence, etc, critique of dominant discourses that produce the norm"/"the natural" i. e. making the invisible visible.