Age of Reason

2 Pages

Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 2680
Professor
Barbara Lazar

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
The Age of Reason:
John Locke (PHILOSPHER)
-1740’s
-challenged Puritan mentality
-he said all kids start as a blank slateblank slate”: tabula rasa
-Puritans say their mind is full of sin and Locke says their mind is clean
-experience is what expresses or changes the mind, by touch, feel, smell, taste
-he says it’s up to the adult to tutor the children, to show them the good from the evil
-he says in order to lead the child one way or the other, they need to develop reason;
cannot talk down to the child
-they should be given something easy and pleasant to read
-talk at their level, positive reinforcement (bribing)…but nothing that could create an
imagination
-1740’s, decade in which English children’s novel and children’s book got underway
-all about human nature
A little pretty Pocket-Book
-Newberry, came out during the era of reasoning
-the idea of, if you’re a good child you’ll be rewarded and if you’re bad you’ll be
punished
-tells the consequences for being bad and the reward for being good
-designed to sell amusement and instruction
-before this there was no book, specifically for kids, like Pilgrim’s promise was written
for amusement and instruction
-with incentive the child will probably make the right choice
-but Newberry did it to make money as well
Rousseau (PHILOSOPHER)
-1712-1778
-birth to 5 years
-sees the child as innately good and pure, that they should feel their way around the world
-Locke invented childhood and Rousseau explained it
-Rousseau focuses on self-discovery and Locke says they should be taught
-Rousseau says there is no corruption in the human heart (5-12 yrs old)
- he says let them develop their own mind after 12 (irrational age)
-puberty; when you start to train child while still allowing them to explore nature, child
begins to be what we see them to be
-the idea of the noble savage, naturaline approach
Romantics
-viewed children as creative imagination, innocent, close to nature
-influenced by ROUSSEAU, cultural movement, imagination is the most important
aspect
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Age of Reason: John Locke (PHILOSPHER) -1740s -challenged Puritan mentality -he said all kids start as a blank slate blank slate: tabula rasa -Puritans say their mind is full of sin and Locke says their mind is clean -experience is what expresses or changes the mind, by touch, feel, smell, taste -he says its up to the adult to tutor the children, to show them the good from the evil -he says in order to lead the child one way or the other, they need to develop reason; cannot talk down to the child -they should be given something easy and pleasant to read -talk at their level, positive reinforcement (bribing)but nothing that could create an imagination -1740s, decade in which English childrens novel and childrens book got underway -all about human nature A little pretty Pocket-Book -Newberry, came out during the era of reasoning -the idea of, if youre a good child youll be rewarded and if youre bad youll be punished -tells the consequences for being bad and the reward for being good -designed to sell amusement and
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit