Fairy Tales

2 Pages

Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 2680
Professor
Barbara Lazar

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Fairy Tales I: Traditional and Literary
Sleeping Beauty
-about jealousy, procreation, marriages, castles
-fairy tale substitute
-versions are reprinted; we know are not the real deal
-there are many different versions of the same tale
Myth vs. Legends vs. Fairy Tale
Myth: usually about creation, God and how, they explain questions of life, unique to
certain people
Legends: about real, half-real, fake heroes, about battles long ago, about the past
Fairy Tales: stories of magic, indefinite past, traditional themes
1.-general characteristics, take into aspects of timelessness, marvels NOT dreams,
they are unbelievable
2.-some sort of enchantement
3.-usually about one person or family against the ‘supernatural
4.-stalk figures ie. King, princess, boy: easy to associate good or bad. Heroes
often referred to with generic names
-often seen as folktale, all oral
-puritans did not like fairytales they believed they were all lies, sin and mischief
-enlightenment: fills the heart with nonsense
-romantics/Victorians: they saw the child nearest to God, domain of childhood was fairy
tales, they tried to re-write fairy tales
-Froid: fairy tale is the conscious and what it should do
-Uses of Enchantment: it is a reality that children are writing about, their oppressed life,
he would take the fairy tale as an individual response of the person
-Youge: we have a collective understanding of specific ideas, he talks about archetypes
-Tolken says you need to be a child to understand fairy tales, you need to be able to
suspend your beliefs
-Indian fairy tales are one of the first to come out: 1000 years ago
-“DELIGHTFUL NIGHTS- 1550, earliest European fairy tale
Perrault: first collection of fairy tales
-he wrote verses, he was an architect
-his wife died giving birth, was left a lone with three sons and spent his time telling them
fairy tales
-he aligned himself with moderns
-he takes stories like “Little Red RiddingHood” and makes it sound more high class and
present them in from of the French court
-stories that used to be vulgar, he changed creating:l’homme civilise”
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Fairy Tales I: Traditional and Literary Sleeping Beauty -about jealousy, procreation, marriages, castles -fairy tale substitute -versions are reprinted; we know are not the real deal -there are many different versions of the same tale Myth vs. Legends vs. Fairy Tale Myth: usually about creation, God and how, they explain questions of life, unique to certain people Legends: about real, half-real, fake heroes, about battles long ago, about the past Fairy Tales: stories of magic, indefinite past, traditional themes 1.-general characteristics, take into aspects of timelessness, marvels NOT dreams, they are unbelievable 2.-some sort of enchantement 3.-usually about one person or family against the supernatural 4.-stalk figures ie. King, princess, boy: easy to associate good or bad. Heroes often referred to with generic names -often seen as folktale, all oral -puritans did not like fairytales they believed they were all lies, sin and mischief -enlightenment: fills the heart with nonsense -romanticsVictorians: they saw the child nearest to Go
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit