Macdonald

2 Pages

Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 2680
Professor
Barbara Lazar

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Architects of Other Worlds
-fairy-tales: short, oral and fictional
-fantasy: literary, long, fictional and non-realistic
-fantasy came out at the beginning of the 18
th
century and doesn’t come from folk motif
-novel as a form is realist, something set in our world whereas fantasy is not read
Fantasy is completely fictional and realistic is something that can be real
-beginning in the 1800’s, Victorian time frame
George MacDonald (literary)
THE FANTASTIC IMAGINATION
-first fantasy novel to be written
-it is set in an alternative world, where the novel takes natural laws and bends them
-laws of the secondary world must be consistent, the moral laws cannot be changed
-good characters have to remain good and if the sun is green is must ALWAYS be green
-mind of man is a product of law, so they must work within this framework
-morality must be maintained, man can invent: but there must be morality, it must make
sense, it cannot help but make sense
-he says man can be a sub-creator, he says the natural world is done by a creator and an
alternate world is created by a sub-creator
J.R.R. TOLKIEN
-1892-1973
( The Hobbit and Tree and Leaf)
-he takes Macdonald’s writing and runs with it
-he saw authors as a sub-creator, a parallel universe that have elements of the primary
world and changes it
Ie.green sky and blue grass
-it has a sort of “Enchantement, it makes you believe, takes you into another world,
that’s why it has to bereal
-written in 1938, because it was something they saw for children, not adults
-involved in “defending fantasy”, the validity of fantasy for adults
-three terms they use: recovery, escape and consolation
Recovery: stimulates, refreshes our sense of this world, like waking up from an illness
Escape: when you leave the real world
Consilation: consolation for things that cannot be in this world, what things should be,
what you desire, what things should be like but cannot be like
-it’s an escape to…not an escape from reality,an ideal world”
Eucatastrophe:a falling out of events, good”, the idea of having a good ending,
something that rarely happens in real life
-Tolkien was a devout Catholic, saw the Bible as the ultimate fairy tale, only difference is
that the Bible is truth, it’s real
-he didn’t like the use of technology, because it was a means of man achieving his
ultimate desires…like planes flying all around the world
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Architects of Other Worlds -fairy-tales: short, oral and fictional -fantasy: literary, long, fictional and non-realistic -fantasy came out at the beginning of the 18 century and doesnt come from folk motif -novel as a form is realist, something set in our world whereas fantasy is not read Fantasy is completely fictional and realistic is something that can be real -beginning in the 1800s, Victorian time frame George MacDonald (literary) THE FANTASTIC IMAGINATION -first fantasy novel to be written -it is set in an alternative world, where the novel takes natural laws and bends them -laws of the secondary world must be consistent, the moral laws cannot be changed -good characters have to remain good and if the sun is green is must ALWAYS be green -mind of man is a product of law, so they must work within this framework -morality must be maintained, man can invent: but there must be morality, it must make sense, it cannot help but make sense -he says man can be a sub-creator, he says the natural world is done by a creator and an alternate world is created by a sub-creator J.R.R. TOLKIEN -1892-1973 ( The Hobbit and Tree and Leaf) -he takes Macdonalds writing and runs with it -he saw authors as a sub-cre
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit