Humanities
Course
HUMA 1160
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
2013­09­12 Modes Exercise Set #1  Group A:   Identify which of the following statements are claims and which are not claims.   Explain why. You don't want to fail your driver's test simply by not knowing the road signs, do you?­A: This statement  would not be considered a claim. You can't do that! A: This statement would not be considered a claim. The statement “ you can’t do that”  indicates an order from someone­ which cannot be considered a claim. By the powers vested in me, I hereby declare you a citizen of Canada. A: This statement would not be  considered a claim as it is an order from someone of higher authority. The person of higher authority is  declaring someone a citizen of Canada which cannot be argued. The distance between San Diego and Atlantic city is 3052 miles.  And the winning for­man bicycle team in  the Race Across America rode it in five days, eighteen hours and fifteen minutes. A: This statement is  considered to be a claim. The speaker is making a claim that the winning for man cycle team in the Race  Across America rode it in five days, eighteen hours and fifteen minutes, which can be deemed true or false  as the number isn’t exact. It is unlikely, that the bicycle team won the race in five days, eighteen hours and  fifteen minutes as it is not exact to the millisecond Evolutionary theory has been well established.­  A: This statement is considered to be a claim. It can be  debated whether the evolutionary theory has been well established or not. I tell you that you are not going to the party.  That's final. A:This statement resembles more of an order  rather than a claim­ something which can be deferred as true or false.  You're not going to the party, are you?­ A: This is considered to be a rhetorical question, so therefore it is a  claim. It can be argued to be true or false as to whether the audience is going to the party or not Evolutionary theory is an abomination in the sight of God A: This statement is considered to be a claim  because it can be argued as to what God’s thoughts are on evolutionary theory. Mice!  We have mice!­ A:It can be argued whether they are mice or not. For example there may be rats and  the speaker may thinks its mice. I confer upon you the authority of a law enforcement officer with all of the powers and responsibilities that  the law accords.­ A: This is considered to be an order as the author is giving the officer orders rather than  stating something which can be debated. Group B:  Identify whether each exercise is an argument or a non­argument.   If it is a non­argument, explain why by identifying which essential component is  missing (e.g. Persuasive claim &/or supporting reason) If it is an argument break it down in premise/conclusion form  For example:   MC: Premarital sex is immoral.     P1: It is a sin.     P2: It encourages promiscuity. You should study economics rather than philosophy or English because economics is more likely to lea
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1160

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit