Humanities
Course
HUMA 1160
Professor
Stanley Tweyman
Semester
Winter

Description
3. Select any two passages below from the Leviathan, and for each passage you have selected, discuss as fully as you can: a) the context in which it is written; b) the meaning of the passage; and c) the relevance of the passage to Hobbes’attempt to explain how we can achieve peace and the good life. (ii) “Hereby it is manifest that, during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war, and such a war as is of every man against every man” Leviathan, page 106. Hobbes says in order to understand how to achieve the best life and form of society, we need to imagine people outside of society. He refers to this understanding as ‘pre-societal existence,’which is based on the passions (wants), fears, and expectations (of what people want in life). Hobbes says that life in pre-societal existence would be intolerable, every person would be an enemy and the world is essentially a war against all. Hobbes believes you can never get a prescription from a description. Take for example the statement, “I am older than you, so you have to do what I say.(I MADE THIS UP)” This statement has a description (I am older than you), and a prescription (you have to do what I say). Hobbes holds that you can never describe a situation and tell someone what he or she ought to do. People fight each other and attempt to kill, they create certain theoretical concepts which they believe to justify what they are doing. These concepts are directed towards preserving life. He explains that when one is in a state of war, and trying to transition to a state of peace, what you have to do is alter these theoretical concepts. They can be used both to justify war and to justify peace; he believes that within each of us there is a capacity both to justify making war and through the same concepts the capacity to make peace and live harmoniously. We need to find out these concepts and understand how they operate in state of war vs. peace, we must internalize these theoretical concepts and adapt in the same way. Hobbes discusses three factors that lead people to the war against all; these factors are the concept of power. He discusses original power, which is something we are born with such as strength or intelligence, whereas instrumental power is power that arises from a tool. He discusses that in the state of nature, there is never any fixed amount of power that is good for you, and in the state of nature there is an ever-increasing power desire – everyone is your enemy. He outlines that what is true for you, is true for all and the struggle for power creates a conflict. Material goods turn to be instrumental power, such as money, property, etc, which can be converted into weapons for or against you. In regards to this quote, Hobbes says here that certain people take a joy in acquiring
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1160

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit