Humanities (387)
HUMA 1720 (3)

HUMA Study Test 1.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
HUMA 1720
Donald A Burke

HUMA Study notes and Key Concepts Francis Bacon- New Organon - Scientific Revolution - Significance: Proposes inductive reasoning instead of deductive o Deduction  Given true premises, there is only one conclusion that WILL happen, the premise entails the conclusion o Induction  Given true premises, there is a conclusion that will LIKELY follow, however the premise does not entail the conclusion  Start from particulars, work way up to generalization - Aphoristic Style o Indicates that this is subject to refinement - Beginning of inductive reasoning in the world - Rejected syllogism o Categorical Syllogism  An argument consisting of two premises and one conclusion  Ex. Some college students are happy, all college students are high school graduates, therefore some high school graduates are happy o Hypothetical Syllogism  An argument of two premises and a conclusion in which both premises are hypothetical o Dyjunctive Syllogism  An argument in which the leading premise is disjunctive (or) and the other premise being a denial of one of the alternatives  Ex. It is raining or I will go for a walk; but it is not raining, therefore I will go for a walk Galileo Galilei- Dialogue Concerning Two Chief World Systems - Scientific Revolution - Significance: Confirmed that the sun was at the centre of the solar system (heliocentric) using empiricism o Geocentric  Viewing the earth as the centre of the solar system, Ptolemy o Heliocentric  Viewing the sun as the centre of the solar system, Copernicus - Galileo was one of empiricism (experiment and observation) as opposed to rationalism (authority and tradition) o “Truth is the daughter of time, not of authority” - Galileo’s work taught the readers to question what was the truth - Two world systems are Ptolemaic and Copernican - Written in Italian rather than Latin to reach the widest audience possible - Galileo invented the experimental method - Dialogue written with characters comparing and contrasting Copernicus’ (Galileo’s) views and the views of Ptolemy Rene Descartes- Discourse on Method - Significance: Promoted 3 existences, “I think therefore I am”, and introduced the method of God, tries to implement a correct thought process o Res Extensa- things that occupy space o Res Cogitas- things that can think o God - Rationalism - Philosophy of Consciousness - Method of Doubt - Skepticism - Mind-Body Dualism o Soul or mind is wholly distinct from the body - Established a connection between geometry and algebra (solving geometrical problems using algebra equations) - Early Modern Philosophy - Proposes four rules for proper reasoning o The first is to not accept anything to be true which I did not clearly know to be avoid haste and prejudgment (Skepticism) o The second to divide each of the difficulties under examination into as many parts as possible, and as might be necessary for adequate solution (Rule of analysis- divide into parts) o The third, to conduct my thoughts, in such order that were the simplest and easiest to know, I might rise little by little, step by step, to the knowledge of the more complex (Rule of Synthesis) o Fourth, in every case to make enumerations so complete, and reviews so general, that I might be assured that nothing was omitted o Proof of God  Stems from the idea that there is a being more perfect than oneself. This idea can only come from the true existence of a being more perfect than oneself, that idea is innate  Abstract Rationalism John Locke- An Essay Concerning Human Understanding - Early Modern Philosophy - No inborn or innate ideas - Tabula rasa or blank slate - All ideas come from sensation or reflection - Classic Liberalism o State of nature  Do as you see fit, perfect freedom o Limited government o Consent of majority o Relationship between individual and community o State of Property  The idea that one can own things and nobody else has a right to take o Social Contract
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1720

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.