Study Guides (248,120)
Canada (121,328)
York University (10,191)
Humanities (404)
HUMA 1910 (10)
Final

Quotations for Final Exam (with key points)

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Humanities
Course
HUMA 1910
Professor
Joan Steigerwald
Semester
Winter

Description
Quotations to prepare for exam 1910 Science and the Humanities 9.0 2011-12 Steigerwald Anderson “All revolutions are revolutions against something.” - Dear reading: Revolutionizing the Sciences - Is a paradigm shift in thinking and it challenges and overthrows a previous way of thinking - It is unified, ie everybody will begin to think this way - Aristotelians thought all knowledge comes from the senses but it’s not fact, its reasoned fact. - He wants to know things by know why things were the way they were - “We conclude that God is known first through Nature, and then again, more particularly, by doctrine; by Nature in His works, and by doctrine in His revealed word.” - gallileo - Page 183 – letter to the grand duchess Christina - Tertullian said these words - Bible gives explanations for non-scientific purposes - God gave us our senses and intellect for us to use not blindly - Galileo also expounds on the God-given gifts of intellect and reason. Matters of the physical world are understood best through direct experience, intellect and reason (which God expects us to use); matters pertaining to the salvation of the soul rely on spiritual faith (which God also expects, but by definition, matters of faith must be accepted and cannot be proved). - 1.) two truths, book of nature and book of god - not being sacreligious - 2.) both holy and religious. - knowing nature and studying is not against god. “What?” she cried. “Do you think I’m incapable of enjoying intellectual pleasures? I’ll show you otherwise right now. Tell me about your stars!” - Fontenelle The first evening (conversation on the plurality of the worlds) - Pg 10 on reading - Scholar telling marquise that there might be life beyond the one she sees, talking about philosophy, life & Copernican system. - marquise goes in control and is smart enough if the scholar explains. don’t talk down and entertain me. pro-feminist. - “Microscopes and some other Glasses and Instruments that improve the sense … to promote the use of Mechanical helps for the Senses, both in the surveying the already visible World, and for the discovery of many others hitherto unknown, and to make us, with the great Conqueror, to be affected that we have not yet overcome one World when there are so many others to be discovered, every considerable improvement of Telescopes or Microscopes producing new Worlds and Terra-Incognita to our view.” - Robert Hooke reading: The Discovery of Micro-organisms - How many more worlds are out there that we don’t know about based on limitations - shifting perspectives due to technology. so much to learn and many worlds to see. - worlds within worlds. - Well don’t completely know our own world but still think ourselves as conquerors. at the time, america was being discovered. - language that hooke used like “conquer” were well based on the time that hooke was from. discovery of new worlds time. - Technology improves human *senses "I remember the effect that the view of the tremendous and ever- moving glacier had produced upon my mind when I first saw it. It had then filled me with a sublime ecstacy that gave wings to the soul and allowed it to soar from the obscure world to light and joy. The sight of the awful and majestic in nature had indeed always
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1910

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit