Quotations to prepare for exam
1910 Science and the Humanities 9.0 2011-12
“All revolutions are revolutions against something.”
- Dear reading: Revolutionizing the Sciences
- Is a paradigm shift in thinking and it challenges and overthrows a
previous way of thinking
- It is unified, ie everybody will begin to think this way
- Aristotelians thought all knowledge comes from the senses but
it’s not fact, its reasoned fact.
- He wants to know things by know why things were the way they
“We conclude that God is known first through Nature, and then again,
particularly, by doctrine; by Nature in His works, and by doctrine in His
- Page 183 – letter to the grand duchess Christina
- Tertullian said these words
- Bible gives explanations for non-scientific purposes
- God gave us our senses and intellect for us to use not blindly
- Galileo also expounds on the God-given gifts of intellect and
reason. Matters of the physical world are understood best
through direct experience, intellect and reason (which God
expects us to use); matters pertaining to the salvation of the soul
rely on spiritual faith (which God also expects, but by definition,
matters of faith must be accepted and cannot be proved).
- 1.) two truths, book of nature and book of god
- not being sacreligious
- 2.) both holy and religious.
- knowing nature and studying is not against god.
“What?” she cried. “Do you think I’m incapable of enjoying intellectual
pleasures? I’ll show you otherwise right now. Tell me about your
stars!” - Fontenelle The first evening (conversation on the plurality of the
- Pg 10 on reading
- Scholar telling marquise that there might be life beyond the one
she sees, talking about philosophy, life & Copernican system.
- marquise goes in control and is smart enough if the scholar
explains. don’t talk down and entertain me. pro-feminist.
“Microscopes and some other Glasses and Instruments that improve
the sense … to promote the use of Mechanical helps for the Senses,
both in the surveying the
already visible World, and for the discovery of many others hitherto
and to make us, with the great Conqueror, to be affected that we have
overcome one World when there are so many others to be discovered,
considerable improvement of Telescopes or Microscopes producing new Worlds and
Terra-Incognita to our view.”
- Robert Hooke reading: The Discovery of Micro-organisms
- How many more worlds are out there that we don’t know about
based on limitations
- shifting perspectives due to technology. so much to learn and
many worlds to see.
- worlds within worlds.
- Well don’t completely know our own world but still think
ourselves as conquerors. at the time, america was being
- language that hooke used like “conquer” were well based on the
time that hooke was from. discovery of new worlds time.
- Technology improves human *senses
"I remember the effect that the view of the tremendous and ever-
glacier had produced upon my mind when I first saw it. It had then
filled me with a sublime ecstacy that gave wings to the soul and
it to soar from the obscure world to light and joy. The sight of the awful and majestic in nature had indeed always