Humanities (387)
HUMA 1910 (10)

Exam Study Questions 2014 (1).docx

7 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
HUMA 1910
Joan Steigerwald

HUMA1910 9.0 Science and the Humanities 2013-2014 Professors Lightman/Steigerwald Study Questions for Final Exam Your final exam in 1910 9.0 Foundations course, Science and the Humanities, will count for 20% of your final grade. It will draw upon material from both terms. It will be closed book – bring only your identification and pencils or pens. It will consist of three sections. There will be choice in all sections. Part I is a short answer section with two kinds of questions: a) identify and explain the significance of names and terms; b) identify and explain the significance of quotations. It is worth 30 %. Alist of terms and names for Part I (a) is found below; a selection of 10 of these will be on the exam and you will be expected to identify and explain the significance of 5.Alist of quotations for Part I (b) is found below; a selection of 6 of these will be on the exam and you will be expected to identify and explain the significance of 3. Parts II and III of the exam are each worth 35%. The possible essay questions for each of Part II and III are listed below.Aselection of 3 essay questions will be in each part on the exam; you will be expected to answer 1 essay question in each of Part II and Part III. You should prepare thoroughly for your essays in the exam. Develop thesis arguments and detailed examples from course materials. We recommend you practice writing timed answers as part of your preparation and we encourage you to work collectively in studying for the exam and thinking about possible examples, arguments and evidence. We do not expect exact references to texts (we do not expect you to memorize page numbers or long quotations, for example) but we do expect detailed and specific examples that show your thorough understanding of the course materials. Part I (A) Short answers (5 x 3% =15%) Identify and explain the significance of any five of the following names or terms: 1. Day After Trinity 2. Mechanical philosophy 3. Enlightenment 4. MAD 5. Robert Walton 6. Eloi 7. Century of the Gene 8. Dystopia 9. Deism 10. Materialism 11. DDT 12. Scholastics 13. Descartes 14. Prometheus 15. Copernican System 16. Biocapital 17. Duck and Cover 18. Eugenics 19. Starry Messenger 20. T.H. Huxley Part I (B) Quotation analysis (3 x 5% = 15%) Identify and explain the significance of any three of the following quotations: 1. “I had worked hard for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bed-chamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep.” 2. “Can the principle of selection, which we have seen is so potent in the hands of man, apply under nature? I think we shall see that it can act most efficiently. Let the endless number of slight variations and individual differences occurring in our domestic productions, and, in a lesser degree, in those under nature, be borne in mind; as well as the strength of the hereditary tendency.” 3. “‘All philosophy,’I told her, ‘is based on two things only: curiosity and poor eyesight.’” 4. “Rather, nuclearity is a regularly contested technopolitical category. It shifts in time and space. Its parameters depend on history and geography, science and technology, bodies and politics, radiation and race, states and capitalism. Nuclearity is not so much an essential property of things as it is distributed in things.” 5. “Well, mace in one hand and Weena in the other, I went out of that gallery and into another and still larger one, which at the first glance reminded me of a military chapel hung with tattered flags. The brown and charred rags that hung from the sides of it I presently recognized as the decaying vestiges of books. They had long since dropped to pieces, and every semblance of print had left them.” 6. “All revolutions are revolutions against something.” 7. “This machine came to offer a metaphor of enormous power, comprehensibility and consequence. The allure of the machine, and especially the mechanical clock, as a uniquely intelligible and proper metaphor for explaining natural processes not only broadly follows the contours of daily experience with such devices but also recognizes their potency and legitimacy in ordering human affairs.” 8. “The public must decide whether it wishes to continue on the present road, and it can do so only when in the full possession of the facts. In the words of Jean Rostrand, ‘The obligation to endure gives us the right to know.’” 9. “If it is now asked, ‘Do we presently live in an enlightened age?’the answer is, ‘No, but we do life in an age of enlightenment.’” 10. “I reduce to two the systems of philosophy which deal with man’s soul. The first and older system is materialism; the second is spiritualism.” 11. “In combating disease, genetics helps enormously if it is a bad gene that contributes to the cause. Ignoring genes is like trying to solve a murder without finding the murderer.” 12. Part II Answer one of the following questions in a thoughtfully argued essa
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1910

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.