Test 3 Italian.doc

16 Pages

Department
Italian
Course Code
IT 2000
Professor
Kevin Reynolds

This preview shows pages 1,2,3,4. Sign up to view the full 16 pages of the document.
Description
Test 3 Italian Il Futuro Semplice  Pg 176-177 Drop the last “e” in the verbs ending in –ere, –ire, and –are Are Er  for verbs ending in –Are verbs, you change the “a” into an “e” Ere Er Ire Ir Endings • ò • ai • à • emo • ete • anno Verbs which have –gare or –care endings For verbs with these endings you add an “h” after the “g” or “c” Pregare preghare preghere pregher Giocare  giochare giochere giocher Verbs ending in –iare (-ciare, giare, sciare) For verbs ending in –iare, you turn the “–ia” into and “e” Mangiare  mangere manger Lasciare  lascere lascer Irregular verbs in the future Andare andrò Avere avrò Cadere cadrò Dovere dovrò Dare darò Essere sarò Fare farò Potere potrò Sapere saprò Stare starò Vedere vedrò Vivere  vivrò Irregular verbs that end in (-rr) in the future Bere  Berrò Parere Parrò Rimanere Rimarrò Tenere Terrò Venire verrò Volere vorrò The futuro semplice can be used to descirbe a probability or a speculation • The future tense could be used to express what is probably true or to speculate or to guess what can be probably true. o It would translate to enlish like: probably, can, could, must, or I wonder  Non vedo Emilia da molto tempo. Dove sarà? (  I havent seen Emilia in a long time. Where could she be? (or “I wonder where she is?”)  Forse sarà in vacanza? (Perhaps she is on vacation)  Che ore saranno? (I wonder what time it is)  Saranno le undici (Its probably eleven o’clock) Quanti anni avrà quella signora? (How old could that lady be?) Avrà 80 anni. (she must be 80 years old) The futuro semplice could also be used to express a polite command Pulirai la tua camera, poi andrai all’ipermercato (you will) clean your room, then go to the supermarket After “se”, “quando”, “dopo che”, “(non) appena” or any other expression of time; you first use the future tense for the first verb, then the future tense again for the dependant variable. o Quando arriveremo, metteremo le valige nella camera ( (When we get there, we’ll put the bags in the room) o Se avrà tempo, andrà a comprare il formaggio (If he/she has the time, he/she will go buy the cheese) o Quando arriverà, sarà stanco (when he gets here, he’ll be tired) o Scriviranno appena potranno (they will write as soon as they can) o Se farà caldo, staremo all’ombra ( If its hot, well stay in the shade) Futuro Anteriore o For the future anteriore we must imput the future tense of avere or essere; then we put the follwing verb in the past. Avere al Futuro OR Essere al Futuro + -IRE -ERE -ARE semplice semplice Avrò OR Sarò + For avere For avere For avere Avrai OR Sarai + -ITO -UTO -ATO Avrà OR Sarà + For essere For essere For essere Avremo OR Saremo + -ITO/ITA -UTO/UTA -ATO/ATA Avrete OR Sarete + Avranno OR Saranno + o The reflexive of Il futuro anteriore (reflexive always uses essere) o Alzarsi Mi sarò alzato/a o The future present is often introduced by the expressions quando, se, dopo che, (non) appena, etc o Quando avrò preparato il minestrone, mangeremo (when I’ve prepared the soup, we’ll eat) o Dopo che ci saremo alzati ci vestiremo (After we’ve gotten up, we will get dressed) o The Future Anteriore expresses probability in the past (in english we would say must have or probably) o Saranno già usciti (They must have already gone out) o Avrà stampato la tesi all’universita (He probably printed his thesis at the univerity) Adverbs pg 180 o Adverbs provide information about: location, time, manner, quantity, and frequency o Ex: Ogni tanto (Every once in a while) o Di solito (Usually) o Adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs o Some adverbs DO NOT change such as molto, poco, tanto, troppo, bene, and male o However some do  buono/a and cattivo/a o Bene and Male are the adverbs of their corresponding adjectives: Buono and Cattivo o Some adverbs have the SAME form as their corresponding adjective o Piano (slow) , Sano (steady), Lontano (far), Sodo (hard) o o Some adverbs have their own form o Spesso (often), insieme (together), così (like), volentieri (with pleasure)  Ex: Carla fa spesso stupidaggini (fooling things) o MANY ADVERBS END IN –MENTE o If a word ends in an “o” we chnge that into an “a” and then we add –mente  EX Vero veramente & Fortunato Fortunatamente • EXCEPTION: o Altro Altrimente o Benevolo Benevolmente o Leggero Leggermente o Violento Violentemente o If the word originally ending in “e” then just add mente  EX Dolce dolcemente & Veloce Velocemente  Recente Recentemente & o If the word ends in –le or –re, the final “e” is dropped and –mente is added  EX Gentile Gentilmente  Regolare Regolarmente  Normale Normalmente  Speciale  Specialmente  Facile  Facilmente  Particolare Particolarmente o EXCEPTION: Mediocre mediocremente Location of the adverb o In sentences with two tenses, short adverbs {(già (already), ancora (still), più(more), mai(never), sempre(always), and spesso (often} are places AFTER the first verb and BEFORE the second o EX: Avete già finito? o In Italia siamo spesso andati al mercato o Adverbs that expree TIME or LOCATION often come at the beginning or end of the sentence or after the past participle o Beggining  Qui si parla italiano o Ending Il volo è partito tardi o Adverbs usually follow the verb or can proceed before the verb for emphasis o Non tornerò mai in questo ristorante.  I will never come back to this resturant o Mai tornerò in questo ristorante!  Never will I return to this resturant! o Sometimes the placement of the adverb can change the meaning of the sentence o Le piace molto mangiare con gli amici  She really likes eating with her friends o Le piace mangiare molto con gli amici  She likes to eat allot with her friends The Conditional  pg (206-207) o Drop the last “e” in the verbs ending in –ere, –ire, and –are o Are Er  for verbs ending in –Are verbs, you change the “a” into an “e” o Ere Er o Ire Ir Endings • ei • esti • ebbe • emmo • este • ebbero Verbs which have –gare or –care endings For verbs with these endings you add an “h” after the “g” or “c” Pregare preghare preghere pregher__ Pianificare  pianifichare pianifichere pianificher__ Verbs ending in –iare (-ciare, giare, sciare) For verbs ending in –iare, you turn the “–ia” into and “e” Mangiare  mangere manger__ Lasciare  lascere lascer__ Cominciare comincere comincer__ Conditional forms of dovere, potere, volere o Dovere dovr__  translated as “should” o Maria, dovresti mangiare di meno (Maria, you should eat less) o Potere  potr__  translated as “could” o Potresti darmi un mano? (could you give me a hand?) o Volere vorr__  translated as “would like” o Vorreste venire parlare con il mio rabbino? (would you like to to talk with my rabbi?) Irregular verbs in the conditional o Andare  andr- o Avere  avr- o Cadere  cadr- o Dovere  dovr- o Essere  sar- o Fare  far- o Potere  potr- o Sapere  sapr- o Venire  verr- o Volere  vorr- How to use the conditional o The conditional expresses possibility or probabilty under certain conditions o Un iPod sarebbe il regalo perfetto per Matteo  An ipod would be the perfect gift for matteo o Also expresses uncertainty o Non so se lo farebbero di nuovo  I don’t know if they would do it again. o Also expresses a statement that is contrary to reality, a desire, or a wish o Ci piacerebbe frequentare una scuola multilingue  We would like to attend a multilingual school o Also expresses a polite request o Mi potrebbe spiegare il vocabolario?  Could you explain the vocabulary to me? The Past conditional o The past conditional expresses an action that would have occured in the past Avere OR Essere + -IRE -ERE -ARE (conditional) (conditional) Avrei OR Sarei + For avere For avere For avere Avresti OR Saresti + -ITO -UTO -ATO Avrebbe OR Sarebbe + For essere For essere For essere Avremmo OR Saremmo + -ITO/ITA -UTO/UTA -ATO/ATA Avreste OR Sareste + Avrebbero OR Sarebbero + o The reflexive of the conditional (reflexive always uses essere) o Alzarsi Mi sarei alzato/a o Arricchirsi Mi sarei arricchito/a o “would have” + verb expresses opinion and preference in the past o Giovanni non sarebbe mai venuto senza di te  Giovanni never would have come without you o Chi avrebbe previsto la globalizzazione delle rete?  Who would have predicted the globalization of the network o The past condtional with “dovere”, “potere”, e “volere” o Dovere  should have  Avreste dovuto chiederlo al prete • You should have asked the priest for it o Potere could have  Avrebbero potuto pagare • They could have paid o Volere would have liked (uses essere)  Sarei voluto andare alla cattedrale con lei • I would have liked to go to the cathedral with her Negation  page 212 o Place a “non” before a verb  Lorenzo non esce stasera Negative expression Translation Sentence Non...affato Not at all Non mi piace affatto il ristorante Da Valerio I don’t like the resturant De Valerio at all Non...ancora Not yet Lucia, non hai ancora trovato un divano Lucia, haven’t you found a sofa Non...mai Never Non ho mai ascoltato la musica di Elvis I never listened to Elvis’s music Non...mica Not in the least Anna non è mica stanca Not a bit Anna isn’t the least bit tired Not at all Non...né.....né Neither ...nor I poveri non hanno né soldi né cibo The poor have neither money nor food Non....niente/ nulla Nothing Non faccio niente di speciale Not...anything stasera I’m not doing anything special tonight Non ....più No longer Barbara non esce più con il suo Not anymore fidanzato No more Barbara isn’t going out wit
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3,4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit