Department
Kinesiology & Health Science
Course Code
KINE 1000
Professor
Hernan Humana
Study Guide
Quiz

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Short Essay: Your Body and Society
Weight as a Social Construction and its effect on me, Sepehr Sedighianrad
Sepehr Sedighianrad
Section A
Emily McCullogh
Tutorial 20
Weight as a Social Construction and its effect on me, Sepehr Sedighianrad
Date: Monday, October 20th, 2014
2014-2015 KINE1000 6.0 Socio-cultural Perspectives in Kinesiology
York University
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Short Essay: Your Body and Society
Fatty! Sumo! Chunky! These are just a few of many jeers aimed towards me in
my grade and even high-school years. Unsurprisingly, these jeers did not end until I lost a
notable amount of weight. Those jeers fueled me to lose weight. From my perspective, there
seemed to be no moments of solace in which my appearance was an “asset”. Why you may ask?
Constant negative judgments about me coming from my peers, “friends”, and in turn myself
were due to my former, obese physical appearance, but more importantly, society’s media
portrayals of obese individuals like my former self.
What judgments were made? Unfortunately, all judgments others made about me were
negative. I was told straight to my face that I was an unathletic and lazy individual. This may
explain why I was not chosen until the end for any team sports in class, especially those
requiring fine motor movement and cardiovascular endurance like soccer. In grade school, I was
commonly referred to as “fatty” and “Sumo” which now strikes me as ironic because the body
composition of Sumo wrestlers is mainly muscle and not fat like most of society thinks.
However, the outward appearance and media portrayal of these wrestlers in TV shows and
movies would make society think otherwise. Unfortunately, my large size and (to an extent)
height, made me seem unapproachable to my peers due to how I stood out grotesquely amongst
those peers. In being labeled as I was in this democratic society we live in, it appeared that my
opinions was useless as they were immediately overshadowed by the “fit” majority’s opinion. It
could be said that due to my size others saw me as a strong person physically. Although they
thought that was the case, I did not feel that way physically or mentally either. One of the most
painful parts of being obese in a social context was how it automatically made me appear
unattractive overall in the eyes of the opposite gender and therefore ruled one out from any sort
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version