Final Exam – KINE1000 – Essay Questions
1. Explain Patricia Hill Collins' point that each of us derives penalties and privileges from
the oppressive systems that we are embedded in.
2. How does Emily Martin's analysis of gender-stereotypes illustrate the resilience of the
3. In the article on Hope, Prof. Jensen answered a question in the minds of many young
people: “why should I be politically active?” His answer is simple: because “one source
of joy is in the struggle.” What does he mean by it?
4. At the John Carlos and Dave Zirin’s talk, Mr. Zirin outlined the four reasons for the
famous Black Power salute on the podium at the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games.
Describe and explain those four reasons?
5. In class, Professor Humana advanced eight ideas on how to de-nationalise and de-
commercialise the Olympic Games. What were those eight ideas? Add another idea that
you feel may achieve either goal.
6. How does the idea that the body is a machine have an impact on athletes' health and
what steps can we take to address this?
7. Sports are contested activities as well as social constructions. What does this mean?
Identify three issues over which people have struggled as they determine how sports
should be organized and how they will be inclu