Department
Management
Course Code
MGMT 1050
Professor
Olga Kraminer
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
One objective of statistical inferences is to estimate the parameter from the statistic
Deviation = (xi x(mean))
Deviation squared = (xi x(mean))^2
Variation = sum of deviation squared/n-1
Some deviations are mean and positive but when you add them all together it will be 0,
which is why we use deviation squared to avoid the “cancelling effect”
-is it possible avoid the cancelling effect without squaring? We could average the absolute
value of the deviations. This is called the mean absolute deviation
Interpreting the Variance
- The variance is useful when comparing two or more sets of the same type of variable
- If the variance of one data set is larger than that of a second data set, we interpret that
to mean that the observations in the first set display more variation than the
observations in the second set
- The problem of interpretation is caused by the way the variance is computed
- the problem of the interpretation is caused by the way the variance is computed
- we resolve this difficult by calculating another related measure of variability
- the standard deviation is simply the positive square root of the variance
- to gauge the consistency, we must determine the standard deviation (we could also
compute the variances)
Interpreting the Standard deviation
- if the histogram is bell shaped, we can use the empirical rule
Empirical Rule
1. approximately 68% of all the observations fall within one standard deviation of the
mean
2. approximately 95% of all the observations fall within two standard deviations of the
mean
3. approximately 99.7% of all the observations fall within three standard deviations of
the mean
A more general interpretation of the standard deviation is derived from chebysheff’s
theorem, which applies to all shapes of histograms
Chebysheff’s Theorem
- Chebysheff’s theorem applies to all shapes histograms
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com One objective of statistical inferences is to estimate the parameter from the statistic Deviation = (xi – x(mean)) Deviation squared = (xi – x(mean))^2 Variation = sum of deviation squared/n-1 Some deviations are mean and positive but when you add them all together it will be 0, which is why we use deviation squared to avoid the “cancelling effect” -is it possible avoid the cancelling effect without squaring? We could average the absolute value of the deviations. This is called the mean absolute deviation Interpreting the Variance - The variance is useful when comparing two or more sets of the same type of variable - If the variance of one data set is larger than that of a second data set, we interpret that to mean that the observations in the first set display more variation than the observations in the second set - The problem of interpretation is caused by the way the variance is computed - the problem of the interpretation is caused by the way the variance is computed - we resolve this difficult by calculating another related measure of variability - the standard deviation is simply the positive square root of the variance - to gauge the consistency, we must determine the standard deviation (we could also compute the variances) Interpreting the Standard deviation - if the histogram is bell shaped, we can use the empirical rule Empirical Rule 1. approximately 68% of all the observations fall within one standard deviation of the mean 2. approximately 95% of all the observations fall within two standard deviations of the mean 3. approximately 99.7% of all the observations fall within three standard deviations of the mean A more general interpretation of the standard deviation is derived from chebysheff’s theorem, which applies to all shapes of histograms Chebysheff’s Theorem - Chebysheff’s theorem applies to all shapes histograms find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com - the proportion of observations in any sample or population that lie within k standard deviations of the mean is at least - 1 – 1/k^2 for k>1 - When k = 2, chebysheff’s theorem states that at least three quarters (75%) of all observations lie within two standard deviations of the mean. With k = 3, chebysheff’s theorem states that at least eight-ninths (88.9%) of all observations lie within three standard deviations of the mean - Note that empirical rule provides approximate proportions, whereas Chebysheff’s theorem provides lower bounds on the proportions contained in the intervals Coefficient of Variation - Is a standard deviation of 10 a large number indicating great variability or a small number indicating little variability? The answer depends somewhat on the magnitude of the observations in the data set. If the observations are in the millions, then a standard deviation of 10 will probably be considered a small number - The coefficient of variation of a set of observations is the standard deviation of the observations divided by the mean - When data comes from very different populations it is useful to use COV – express the S.D relative to the mean Measure of Variability for Ordinal and Nominal Data - The measures of variability in this section can be used only for interval data - There are no measures of variability for nominal data Factors that identify when to compute the Range, Variance, Standard Deviation, and Coefficient of variation 1. Objective: describe a single set of data 2. Type of data: interval 3. Descriptive measurement: Variability Percentile - The Pth percentile is the value for which P percent are less than that value and (100- P)% are greater
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit