Test 4

4 Pages

Department
Music
Course Code
MUSI 2520
Professor
Ron Westray

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
The Two Phases of KRS-One
1) Blastmaster
Aggressive freestyle battling
Beef with MC Shan of the Juice Crew
o“South Bronx” vs. “The Bridge”
“The Bridge” is MC Shan’s song
oBattles in Cedar Park
2) The Teacher / Philosopher
Deemed his own stage name an acronym for “Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly
Everyone”
Less violent and aggressive
Became a recipient of the BET Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008
Deemed “hip-hop” as “His infinite power helping oppressed people”
He claimed that hip-hop is the reflection of the reality of the inner city
oThat’s why it’s appropriate for hip-hop artists to use words like “nigger” and
“motherfucker”
oThe past is the past, and the words are naturally part of hip-hop culture
Mixtapes in this era came in the form of cassette tapes.
1980s Transitions
1. No more breaks
2. Drum machines replaced by sample drum lines
3. Digital samplers replaced by tape loops
Pre Neo-Soul / Neo Africanism
Loose Ends
oDebuted in 1980, they were a successful British R&B band
oTwo albums to note:
(1984) - A Little Spice
(1985) - So Where Are You?
Soul II Soul
oDebuted in 1988
oNotable song: (1989) “Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)”
Big L (Lamont Coleman)
Made significant contributions to hip-hop in the late 90s
Died in a shooting in 1999, before his album, “The Big Picture” came out in 2000
The classic song, “Ebonics”, talks about the slang and lingo used in hip-hop
Fashion in Hip-Hop
The two things that were most important to sneaker culture are basketball and hip-hop
Comfortable sneakers were good for dancing to
oB-Boys and B-Girls made these sneakers popular
oAdidas and Puma were two popular brand names
Back in the 1980s, people were obsessed with keeping their sneakers in pristine condition
oTheir shoes reflected their class. Guys with dirty shoes would have a hard time picking
up girls
oThey couldn’t afford to buy shoes all the time
oClean shoes = self-respect/respect from others
Ken Swift of the Knock Steady Crew introduced a specific kind of fashion in New York City
oKangol cap, t-shirt, jeans and sneakers

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Two Phases of KRSOne1 BlastmasterAggressive freestyle battlingBeef with MC Shan of the Juice CrewoSouth Bronx vs The BridgeThe Bridge is MC Shans songoBattles in Cedar Park2 The TeacherPhilosopherDeemed his own stage name an acronym for Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly EveryoneLess violent and aggressiveBecame a recipient of the BET Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008Deemed hiphop as His infinite power helping oppressed peopleHe claimed that hiphop is the reflection of the reality of the inner cityoThats why its appropriate for hiphop artists to use words like nigger and motherfuckeroThe past is the past and the words are naturally part of hiphop cultureMixtapes in this era came in the form of cassette tapes1980s Transitions1 No more breaks2 Drum machines replaced by sample drum lines3 Digital samplers replaced by tape loops Pre NeoSoulNeo AfricanismLoose EndsoDebuted in 1980 they were a successful British RB bandoTwo albums to note1984A Little Spice1985So Where Are YouSoul II SouloDebuted in 1988oNotable song 1989 Back to Life However Do You Want MeBig L Lamont ColemanMade significant contributions to hiphop in the late 90sDied in a shooting in 1999 before his album The Big Picture came out in 2000The classic song Ebonics talks about the slang and lingo used in hiphopFashion in HipHopThe two things that were most important to sneaker culture are basketball and hiphopComfortable sneakers were good for dancing tooBBoys and BGirls made these sneakers popularoAdidas and Puma were two popular brand namesBack in the 1980s people were obsessed with keeping their sneakers in pristine conditionoTheir shoes reflected their class Guys with dirty shoes would have a hard time picking up girlsoThey couldnt afford to buy shoes all the timeoClean shoesselfrespectrespect from othersKen Swift of the Knock Steady Crew introduced a specific kind of fashion in New York CityoKangol cap tshirt jeans and sneakers
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit