Laws as Rules and Principles (oct 29th).docx

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 2050
Professor
Michael Gregg

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Laws as Rules and Principles, Con’t (Oct 29 ) th Last class – a theory of law which focuses entirely on rules will overlook the existence and importance of principles in law, which are most visible in judicial decision-making. Logical Distinction Between Rules and Principles i) Rules contain satisfaction-conditions, while principles do not. ii) Principles have “weight”, while rules do not iii) Principles operate with terms such as reasonable or unfair, which require interpretation. Rules Ex: Must be 35 to be a senator. Wills must be signed by 3 witnesses. Principles: No one may profit from their own wrong Car manufactures have special obligations General Difference: Rules apply in an all or nothing way, while principles contribute to buy do not require any specific decision. Three further observations about principles: I) So long as they can be shown to explain or justify existing law, principles need not be explicitly recognized to be binding. II) They pervade all areas of the law. III) Principles are binding, but hey are not
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit