POLS 1090 Final: Exam Terms

1 Page

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLS 1090
Professor
Bruce Smardon

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Tutorial 3 Terms
1. Neoliberalism: an approach to economics and social studies in which control of
economic factors is shifted from the public sector to the private sector
2. Globalization Project: an alternative form of organizing economic growth with scale
and power of transnational banks and corporations
3. Privatization: Privatization is when the government owned businesses or land, is
transferred over to be managed by private firms and corporations. This is often done to
increase efficiency of the business.
4. EPZs: export processing zones, these are zones that are typically set up by governments
and offer sort of incentives in the form of tax reduction and a few regulations on trade
which attract direct foreign investment
5. Colonization: Colonization is an ongoing process of control by which a central system of
power dominates the surrounding land and its components.
6. Debt Crisis: The debt crisis is the general term for a proliferation of massive public debt
relative to tax revenues. It instituted a new era of global governance. And, it spawned the
debt regime – external rule0based procedures that strengthened grip of the First World on
the Third World through international financial institutions.
7. Imports/ exports
8. Development project: An organized strategy of national economic growth, including an
international system of alliances and assistance established within the competitive and
militarized framework of the Cold War.
9. Legitimacy crisis: Crisis of legitimacy occurring between US led global governance and
so called new players in the global capitalism such as the BRICs and expanded
membership of the G20. Shifts in global governance as a result of the emergence of new
consensus for world order.
10. Financialization (237): Dominance of financial assets particularly derivatives. Large rise
over time in the size and importance of financial trans actions as portion of economy.
Debt instruments are becoming more important. (McMichael 237).
11. Outsourcing: relocates goods and services production as a cost-reduction strategy and a
means to increase operational flexibility of an organization. It includes offshoring, as
firms shift production overseas. Outsourcing has become significant for two reasons: (1)
the hypermobility of capital in an era of deregulation and expanding access to cheap/
flexible labour and (2) the privatization of states (McMichael 153).
12. Post-Washington consensus: The legitimacy crisis of neoliberal development under the
leadership of the so called Washington Consensus has occurred across the last two
decades. A set of neoliberal economic policies (trade and financial liberalization,
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Tutorial 3 Terms 1. Neoliberalism: an approach to economics and social studies in which control of economic factors is shifted from the public sector to the private sector 2. Globalization Project: an alternative form of organizing economic growth with scale and power of transnational banks and corporations 3. Privatization: Privatization is when the government owned businesses or land, is transferred over to be managed by private firms and corporations. This is often done to increase efficiency of the business. 4. EPZs: export processing zones, these are zones that are typically set up by governments and offer sort of incentives in the form of tax reduction and a few regulations on trade which attract direct foreign investment 5. Colonization: Colonization is an ongoing process of control by which a central system of power dominates the surrounding land and its components. 6. Debt Crisis: The debt crisis is the general term for a proliferation of massive public debt relative to tax revenues. It instituted a new era of global governance. And, it spawned the debt regime external rule0based procedures that strengthened grip of the First World on the Third World through international financial institutions. 7. Imports exports 8. Development project: An organized strategy of national economic grow
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit