PSYC 2020 Study Guide - Winter 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Toy, Child Development, Canada

147 views86 pages
12 Oct 2018
Department
Course
Professor
PSYC 2020
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 86 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

PSYC 2020 Lecture 1 Notes
Introduction
Cross-Cultural Designs
Scientists are often hesitant to publish a new finding or conclusion until they have
studied eough people to deterie that their disoery is reliale.
However, their conclusions are frequently based on participants living at one point in
time within one particular culture or subculture
It is difficult to know whether these conclusions apply to future generations or even to
children currently growing up in other societies or subcultures (Lerner, 1991).
Today, the generalizability of findings across samples and settings has become an
iportat issue, eause ay theorists hae iplied that there are uiersals i
human development
Events and outcomes that all children share as they progress from infancy to adulthood
Cross-cultural studies are those in which participants from different cultural or
subcultural backgrounds are observed, tested, and compared on one or more aspects of
development.
Studies of this kind serve many purposes.
For example, they allow the investigator to determine whether conclusions drawn about
the development of children from one social context (such as middle-class white
children in Canada) also characterize children growing up in other societies or those
from different ethnic or socioeconomic backgrounds within the same society (for
example, Canadian children of Asian ancestry or those from economically disadvantaged
homes).
So the cross-cultural comparison guards against the overgeneralization of research
fidigs ad is the oly ay to deterie hether there are truly uiersals i hua
development.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Souza and her colleagues (Souza, Pinheiro, Denardin, Mattos, & Rohde, 2004) used a
cross-cultural comparison to examine two groups of children and adolescents who had
been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Their conclusions are frequently based on participants living at one point in time within
one particular culture or subculture
It is difficult to know whether these conclusions apply to future generations or even to
children currently growing up in other societies or subcultures (Lerner, 1991).
Today, the generalizability of findings across samples and settings has become an
important issue, because many theorists have implied that there are uiersals i
human development
Events and outcomes that all children share as they progress from infancy to adulthood
Cross-cultural studies are those in which participants from different cultural or
subcultural backgrounds are observed, tested, and compared on one or more aspects of
development.
Studies of this kind serve many purposes.
For example, they allow the investigator to determine whether conclusions drawn about
the development of children from one social context (such as middle-class white
children in Canada) also characterize children growing up in other societies or those
from different ethnic or socioeconomic backgrounds within the same society (for
example, Canadian children of Asian ancestry or those from economically disadvantaged
homes).
Unlock document

Document Summary

Industrialization cities: the groups were from two industrialized cities in brazil: p rto alegre in the south and. Rio de janeiro in the southeast: because children and adolescents diagnosed with adhd in canada and the united. United states and other countries: therefore, it appears that, among children and adolescents from diverse cultures in developing and industrialized nations, the pattern of emotional disorders accompanying. Research designs for studying development: de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)talists are (cid:374)ot (cid:373)erel(cid:455) i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)g people"s progress at o(cid:374)e particular phase of life. In the previous, we considered data collection methods and research designs that could be used in many areas of psychological research: developmentalists are (cid:374)ot (cid:373)erel(cid:455) i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)g people"s progress at o(cid:374)e particular phase of life. In the next lectures, we will consider additional research designs that can be combined (cid:449)ith the o(cid:374)es (cid:449)e"(cid:448)e alread(cid:455) (cid:272)o(cid:374)sidered to gi(cid:448)e us i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) a(cid:271)out de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)tal continuities and changes.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers