PSYC 2030 Study Guide - Final Guide: Type I And Type Ii Errors, Statistical Inference, Confounding

58 views5 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 7 experimental design i: single-factor designs. Single-factor designs have one i. v. with two or more levels. I. v. can be tested either between or within subject designs. Between-subjects, it could be either a manipulated or a subject variable. If the i. v. is manipulated, the design will be called independent groups designs, if simple random assignment is used to create equivalent groups or matched groups design, matched on a potentially confounding var. and then randomly assigned. In ex post facto designs, random assignment is not possible, subjects are already in one group or another by virtue of their variable being studied (eg gender) The i. v. tested within subjects is called repeated-measures design that is, each participant in the study experiences each level of the i. v. (is measured repeatedly). To determine whether the differences found between the two conditions/levels of a single factor (i. v. two -level design are significant (true) or due to chance, an inferential statistical analysis is required.