Psychology (1,150)
PSYC 2120 (62)

study note midterm 2 part 1

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 2120
Gerry Goldberg

Study note Social Psychology 2120 Lecture+ Text Gerry Goldberg Lecture 5: Conformity Informational conformity: Informational conformity  using other people‟s numbers as their own data. Sherif (1969)  how far did the light move? Light placed on ceiling does not move, but asked how much it moved (flickers). At first different estimates but they slowly converged. When a confederate was added and pretended to see really big movements, everyone‟s collective numbers moved upwards and upwards (increased). When a new subject was added and replaced by the confederate, the large estimates remained. When all of the subjects were slowly phased out over 20 generations they found that the behavior remained despite that there were a clear difference between groups. Outside a classroom you overhear the asking of : “do you agree with this statement? „I would never go out of my way to help another if it meant giving up some personal freedom.‟” (Wilder,1980) Dental Flossing: x = times a week; if most floss 5 times a week most people said they would too. “Our studies show that U. of Colorado students your age floss approximately [X] times perWhenk.” x= +5 , this suggestion increased intent and flossing over a 3 month span. German Cancer screening: When men were told 18% of men have undergone a cancer screening, only 18% signed up. When men were told that 65% or most men have undergone a screening, 39% signed up. Scorer referee decisions: In 1530 German matches, the home teams received 1.89 yellow cards, while the away team received 2.35(the difference between yellow cards received increased with how noisy the stadium ways) . when replicated in a lab setting the same results were confirmed. Video: ( why did you laugh? Absurdly conforming people, confused and uncomfortable, others laughing in the video. Breaking the rules/ norms: Sing on a bus, hang up telephone without saying bye. Normative conformity: RATEBUSTER. Asch Experiment  social pressure to conform ( Notes the importance of group size and having a supporting partner.) Kelman’s levels of conformity: Study note Social Psychology 2120 Lecture+ Text Gerry Goldberg  Compliance to rewards and consequences  Identification wanting to be a part of that group  Internalization False Confessions: “the Gildford four” The voluntary false confession:  famous/ protect someone else. The coerced-compliant false confession:  offered a coffee, 18 hours needed to go to the bathroom,  making it miserable, therefore can get of it by confessing. The coerced-internalized false confession:  get people exhausted and tired therefore not trusting their own memory .  aggressive interrogation. Confused and tired and as a result believes that they did it. Process of suggestion: The credibility of the interviewer Expectations and self fulfilling prophecy (approaching interrogation as if they are guilty) fail to notice answers that don‟t fit into their expectations Social isolation Interviewing techniques: assertions made by interviewer  use of technology/skills Chapter 6: Conformity what is conformity? Conformity is a change in behavior/belief to accord with others  Acting as others do and being affected by how others act. 3 varieties of conformity: 1.Compliance  conformity that involves publicly acting in accord with social pressure while privately disagreeing. i.e. putting on a necktie/dress but not enjoying it; complying to reap reward & avoid punishment. 2.Obedience  acting in accord to a direct order. i.e. compliance that leads to an explicit demand = obedience. 3.Acceptance  conformity that involves both acting and believing in accord with social pressure. i.e. joining a gym because we have been told that exercise makes us healthy and we accept that as true. What are the classic studies on conformity and obedience? 1. Sherif’s studies of norm formation: Is it possible to observe social norm in a laboratory setting? Sherif conducted a study where participants are placed in a dark room, and see a light. Which moves eratically, by which time they are asked to guess how far it moved. Autokinetic phenomenon  self motivation. The apparent movement of a stationary point of light in the dark. i.e. spotted a moving satellite in the sky but then realized that it was only an isolated star. 2. Asch’s studies of group pressure: Study note Social Psychology 2120 Lecture+ Text Gerry Goldberg Solomon Asch conducted a study where you were asked to determine which line out of three lines matched the sample line beside them. At face value this is simply cut and dry, an easy task. In the first trial seven people gave the correct answer to which everyone agreed(trial I). In the second trial, (trial 2) they were the control group. In the third trial the correct answer was cut and dry, yet when the confederates gave the wrong answers the participants gave the wrong answer and so on and so on. Those in a control condition who alone were correct 99% of the time, while 37% conformed in the third trials, which means 63% did not conform. 3. Milgram’s obedience study: Two men came to participate in a study of learning and memory, wherein they were told they were testing punishment on learning by using a word-pairing list. One person is then selected as the “learner”,
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.