NON VERBAL LEARNING DISABILITY
Although there are support for students entering Post secondary school for people with Learning
disability, people with Non-Verbal Learn Disability (NLD) are not provided with as much research as LD.
This affects those with NLD with social and emotional issues.
Identified in 1960’s to 1970’s. Associated with damage in white matter of brain in right hemisphere.
Recent research suggests NLD may form a milder syndrome on Austism /Aspergers disorder.
Prevalence. 0.5 – 1% of general population have NLD..... Equivalent to schizophrenia.
- People with NLD range average on Verbal vocab and comprehension on IQ scores. However there
is a big discrepancy between Verbal and Performance IQ with Verbal IQ score often significantly
higher than performance IQ
- Also have visual special information difficulties. Causing organization skills problems which are
problematic for the student life .
- Don’t like being touched. Tactile information.
- Social issues occur due to not being able to pick up subtle body language. Can lead to
awkwardness/getting bullied or out casted.
Social Emotional functioning and Mental health issues for those with NLD
- Little research shows NLD people have disruptive behaviour.
- Not sure if mental health causes LD. Or vice versa
Depression and Non-Verbal learning disabilities.
- Depression is ongoin