Social Science
Course
SOSC 1009
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Summer

Description
MidTerm Exam Review SOSC 1000 6132013 111700 AM Note I suggest you read from the pages I have noted beside each point to get a better understanding of things I wrote out simplified versions but it would be beneficial to look over the pagesPART ADefine who what when why and explain the significance of how of the following terms 1 Thomas Hobbes Shusky reading page 3032 course kit tho Who 17 Century thinker o Where England mid 1600s o What Explored nature of human condition believed human behaviour should be studied not taken for granted Also believed that humans naturally tend to compete in continual state of war and only by subjecting themselves to a common power could they live in reasonable security People should enter into a social contract agreeing to limit personal freedom in order to have social stabilityo WhyEnlightenment move away from Roman and Greek classical thinking to People should think for themselves Strife between England and France social and political unrest questioning the system Catholics vs Protestantso SignificanceHis ideas lead to other thinkers critique and discussion over the matter of human autonomy and ability to shape their own destinies including fraternity equality right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness constitutional rights charter of rights etcare based on thisBefore this discussion came up the church and monarchies enforced the notion of fixed Godgiven human condition and behaviour people are where they are in the hierarchy because God wanted it that way His ideas lead JohnLocke to come up with counter ideas he did not agree with Hobbes absolutist theory He explored rights of individuals position of the individual in society political power is only justified by the public good property rights more priority than governments rights People were starting to disagree with Kings divine right to rule and so the monarchs strengthened themselves by teaming up with powerful merchants expanded trade and unified economy
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1009

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit