Social Science
Course
SOSC 1700
Professor
Nadiah Habib
Semester
Summer

Description
HREQ 1700 MID –TERM REVIEW SETTLER COLONY: Were colonies that settled or move to a new country, colony or a “new world”. This settlement was an important characteristic of colonialism in the 19 century. In the development of the course settler colonies especially European settlers affected the live of First Nations Women in Canada, in terms of their culture, lifestyle, family organization, and religion. European colonies devaluated native population with regulations like the Indian Act. DIFFICULT KNOWLEDGE Knowledge that often challenges the dominant ideology, which is difficult to accept and we reject it and its source, or we embrace it without a critical evaluation. DIASPORA Comes from the Greek term “diasperin”, Used to refer to any ethnic population forced or induced to leave their original homelands. Also people who leave their homelands to find work or search for asylum. An example of diaspora in the topics cover in the course is the high amount of Chinese population who came to Canada to work. They weren’t forced, rather they chose to start a new life in a new place. Also, during WWII, the boats of Jewish who came to Canada looking for asylum. This term have helped me gaining knowledge about the migration of th th different ethnic population to Canada during the 19 and 20 century. THERE IS NOTHING OBJECTIVE ABOUT OBJECIVITY Objectivity means to have a neutral position in a specific topic or issue. Been objective is not possible because any ideology or thought always have a defined side or position that contradicts other. DOMINANT IDEOLOGY Set of interrelated beliefs that tell how the world works and how it should work. It is descriptive and prescriptive. Reinforces the status quo and resists change. I’ve learned some aspects about the dominant ideology of a feminist perspective. Feminists are often classified as controlling, aggressive, overemotional, and protestors. The dominant ideology about women is that they are emotionally, socially, economically dependent on men and more vulnerable to violence. PIN MONEY Term used to refer to small amounts of money for nonessential minor expenditures. In the course this term was used to explain the dependence of women in men in terms of economic situation. Men usually earned family wages which was a good amount of money to support a family, but women only had access to pin money which was a few earning that forced them to depend in their husbands. RACIALIZATION The process of categorizing a group based on race and the physical features of a specific group or minority. Racialization has an impact on the racialized group identity and is socially constructed. This term teach me about Canada’s Chinatowns as an example of the racialization of Chinese people. They were categorized as “outsiders” and only considered as temporary workers without any type of right in society. Also women in Canada have been racialized in different stereotypes. NORMATIVITY Are normative statements or norms that affirm how things should be? These norms are the standard of a correct behavior. In the reading of the book Re- Thinking Canada, the chapter about Family and mutual assistance relates to this term. The 18th century in Quebec was a time where the population of widows was high. One of the normative in the nuclear family was the complete control of men over all family properties. The only way in which this norms could be broken was if a husband die, then women received full legal capacity over her family. JAPANESE INTERNMENT Refers to the confinement (encierro) of Japanese Canadians in detention camps during World War II. Order for the internment was based on speculation about espionage as a result of the Japanese attack to Pear Harbour. This term helped me understand about the history of Japanese lives in Canada before, during and after times of war. Also, the movie called Hatsumi was an important way of learning about the living conditions of Japanese and how their families were affected by the government decisions. VICTORIAN IDEALS OF TRUE WOMANHOOD Four characteristics that any proper and good women should have: Piety, purity, domesticity and submissiveness. This new ideal of how women should behave started as a new ideology about work and family, the cult of domesticity. Women were delicate and weak. They wouldn’t do the work men do, rather would stay in the private sphere, at home. I think this term is very important to understand the role of women in the 19 and 20 century. The stereotype of a “lady” didn’t fit the reality of working class women and these Victorian women tried to teach women of color how to become lady, which was seen as the adequate way to behave. “DIFFERENCE” AS VALUE VS. “DIFFERENCE” AS A RELATIONSHIP INTERSECTIONALITY A concept used in critical theories to describe the ways in which oppressive institutions like racism and sexism, are interconnected and cannot be examined separately from on another. In all the readings and topics that the course had covered, intersectionality is the basis to understand how race, gender, and class work together to produce and define the identity of minority groups in society. I’ve understood how race doesn’t exist outside gender, sexuality and class. An example I think is appropriate is that division of labor can not only be seen from the gender perspective without taking into account race. Women are not only oppressed by men superiority, instead there’s racial oppression within the same gender framework, differences of job opportunities between white, color and native women. CONTINUOUS JOURNEY A Canadian regulation to restrict immigration from India. Any immigrant from India that wanted to come to Canada should come directly from their country of birth in a “continuous journey”. The greater distance between India and Canada needed a stop before arriving, which made this regulation discriminatory to those coming from India. I’ve understood throughout the course the difficult situations and processes many cultures like Asians, and Indians had to faced centuries ago to start a new life. We see in the streets in Canadian cities the high amount of people from many different countries, but we don’t know the history of their immigration to Canada, and I think understanding this now gave me have a different perspective of what Canada called as multiculturalism and also makes me wonder how was the history of the arriving of my culture to Canada. MORAL PANIC Reaction to false or exaggerated perceptions that some cultural behavior or minority group is dangerous and deviant to society. Also seen as a threat to social values and the norms of society. With the knowledge I’ve gained from the course I think moral panic can relate to the false perception of black men as rapist while white men as a protector. This stereotype of black men as dangerous to society produces fear in people when encounter a black men in the streets. The reaction of people to this dangerous man is a false perception about men on color and that can be an example of moral panic. PART 2 QUESTIONS What does it mean to say that Woman is not a Universal Category? Gender differences between women and men are always seen as a type of sexism against women and it never takes into account other aspects like race and class. The intersectionality between these 3 concepts leads to say that woman is not a universal category. This means, we cannot generalize all women under the same category, instead is necessary to consider race and class as aspects that affect women in different ways. In terms of race considering skin color women can be white or black, or can have a different nationality; European, Chinese, Japanese, African etc. In terms of class, women can be upper middle class, or middle class or working class women. All these differences between women make the conditions of their lives very different, and aspects like racism, and discrimination affect some women more than others. For this reason woman cannot be consider a universal category. Why might it be important to take history into consideration in relation to women in Canada? Refer to readings to support your answer. History is important to understand the life of women in Canada through out the centuries. What I found more important is know about First Nations Women lives before and after European came to Canada. One of the readings in the book Re- thinking Canada describes the community Nadouek in Canada. The author of this article explains the important role women had. This early community was a matriarchal society and woman was the base of the food production. Men were important in wars, but was the women the one in charge of taking all decisions. On the other hand, European women came to Canada with a different idea about womanhood. Women should stay at home and behave under the ideology of domesticity. This situation evolved to the second wave of feminism. Feminists argued and fight for their rights as equal to men. They state that family was one of the primary sites of women’s oppression, and that they were excluded of opportunities in the public sphere. Nowadays we see that women are more involved in the public sphere, competing at the same level of men, involved also in careers were men were always the majority. I think history make us understand the difficult steps in history that women had to face to be the part of society they are now. What does it mean to say that in the Dominant culture, what is considered natural and normative remains unmarked and invisible? Our society is full of dominant ideologies that include race, class and gender. The dominant groups promote and enforce their cultural perspectives and the society is shaped according to the dominant group values. The control of one group ideas over others control the way in which ideas become normative and natura
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1700

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit