1940s Nutritional experiments on Aboriginals
colonization occurred Europeans brought new food with them like alcohol, sugar, saturated fats.
Also diseases such as heart issues, tooth decay, diabetes, and alcoholism
- Long term impacts of tuberculosis in aboriginal population, highest deaths under age 30,
serious epidemic disease in Canada especially with aboriginal’s
- 1940s heath stats aboriginals vs. Canadians 7x more likely to die of pneumonia 13x whooping
cough, 46x measles, 9x influenza
- Relates to colonialism because it involved the Europeans dominating health and taking over
the aboriginal peoples in
- Long term impacts
1918-1919 Influenza Epidemic
Define: outbreak of the flu, spread along through human carriers between 20-40million people
were killed, started after WW1
- Plaque on the Western Front Film:
1957 Hospital Insurance and Diagnostic Services Act
1. Define the conquest of illness: healing a individual from sickness/ chronic diseases. -
- Micheal f. – the gaze : the doctor looks at you, doesn’t look you at the patient but looks
at you as a researcher. I see you in parts. Focus on the certain parts of the body. Tech.
allows that happens bc it separtes you. (body as machine)
- For example, x-ray : looks at certain injury in your body.
- Life support: Harold on life support, doctors are using tech. to keep the individual alive.
- Transition from home care to hospital
- Bio med focuses on the medicine to concur illness . (cancer)
- Ex:thalidomide: trying to get ride of morning sickness for preg. Women but the outcome
was it caused defects in babies.
- Is always number 1 answer to solving illness
Non western biomedicine
- Natural healing- aboriginals: they had their own remedies
- Film :Not my home : the setting was in the senior home, the nurses had power over the
seniors. Bed time, time you eat and play.
- Follow the rules and regulations.
- Institutions has a power over the patient
- Going to a hospital for an illness, no longer home care where the doctor comes to you.
- Hospital: clean environment, made for research is done to cure chronic disease
- Social control: hospital is own separate by components –patients has no say but the
doctors and tech. has the power.
- Goffman : his theory basically mean you are excluded from the outside world.
- In todays society there an increase in change in insitutions such as hospice because
they are making the structure more homely. And children hospital more inviting …to
make more fun for the kids. Basically they are welcome and feel comfortable in the
structure atmosphere. Professionals
- Has power over patient
- They treat you as a research then actual patient ex:“life support –Harold..machines were
keeping him alive”
- Hierarchy: doctors are at the top and nurses are bottom; medical dominance – doctors
has the power
- Article: nurses- caregivers
- Job created: thru technology. For each new technology there is a new job opportunity
- Technology give power to doctors in order to further look in to the individual illnesses.
- One of the top professionalism is nurses.
- Nurse and doctor game: doctors don’t give respect towards nurse
- Key word in medial sociology