explanation

3 Pages

Department
Social Science
Course Code
SOSC 2150
Professor
Lykke Dela Cour

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
October
4/2010
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: the Socio-Political Dimensions of Health
Promotion
Historical Origins
-1960’s to 1970’s is when a lot of social scientists/biologists began criticising more and
more the family model
-when health promotion and health policy in the context of neo-liberalism became more
widespread (1990’s-2000’s)
-neoliberalism: more individualistic, corporation, privatization
-the commodification of the lifestyle perspective of health (the transformation of
healthcare, when it became regarded as goods or services-a business)
-emphasis on public policy also had an effect on commodification of lifestyle
-private corporate services, has profited greatly on notions of health via gyms,
diets, fitness, exercise clothing/shoes
-mortality rate did not improve and thus people began questioning the efficacy of medical
science
-at the same time, the biomedical approach was unable to deal with chronic degenerative
diseases
*Curative needed to change into preventative*
1) health promotion 2) structural model (health determinants)
-there was a Canadian study done on the health care system: Population Health Model in
Lalonde (1974):
-he said there are three main threats to health
a. economic inequality
b. preventable diseases/accidents
c. chronic diseases
-he showed that biological problems were not the only reason for disease
Epp (1986):
-report that built-up on the Lalonde report
a. biology (human)
b. lifestyle (drinking, drugs…etc)
c. environmental (economic, social, ecologicaletc)
d. organizatoin of health care system
-he said that after WWII our focus was wrong, he argued that more improvements needed
to be done
-he said that we needed to strengthen community health services, highlighting prevention,
greater public involvement and policy
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
October 42010 Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: the Socio-Political Dimensions of Health Promotion Historical Origins -1960s to 1970s is when a lot of social scientistsbiologists began criticising more and more the family model -when health promotion and health policy in the context of neo-liberalism became more widespread (1990s-2000s) -neoliberalism: more individualistic, corporation, privatization -the commodification of the lifestyle perspective of health (the transformation of healthcare, when it became regarded as goods or services-a business) -emphasis on public policy also had an effect on commodification of lifestyle -private corporate services, has profited greatly on notions of health via gyms, diets, fitness, exercise clothingshoes -mortality rate did not improve and thus people began questioning the efficacy of medical science -at the same time, th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit