SOSC 2652 Midterm: CRIM 2652 Test 3 Review Package.docx

220 views86 pages
4 May 2013
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The courts: overview, sentencing, gladue, view from bench. Current issues: mental health and youth justice. Part 1 (a): the courts 1 overview. Main areas of court process: pretrial, trial, sentencing. Key role of courts in the cjs: mete out justice independently, monitoring function, hear criminal cases and appeals. Less serious offence and less serious maximum penalty, i. e. food fraud, causing a disturbance, minor assault, solicitation for the purpose of prostitution. Tried by provincial court judge sitting alone. Tried within 6 months of the when the offence took place. Most serious offences, i. e. , homicide, treason, sexual assault, armed robbery, dangerous driving. Can be tried in different courts depending on seriousness of offence and preference of the accused. More serious intrusions against those charged (i. e. pre-trial detention, photographing and fingerprinting for permanent record. Crown has the choice to proceed summarily or by indictment. Can change at any time before trial begins. Examples: assault, theft, fraud under , impaired driving.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers