Unit 4 Review Stuff
Economic Thesis: Between 1600 and 1914 China originally had a prospe
1. China’s government (Qing) was pretty strong, had a trade surplus.
2. Taiping Rebellion, Opium War, Boxer Rebellion
3. Europeans begin to gain power in CHINA
Thesis: Between 1650 and 1900, Japan evolved from a decentralized and non-industrialized
state to a centralized and imperialistic state after the Meji restoration.
1. Up through 1868 the Tokugawa Shogunate employed isolationist policies and focused
mainly on internal affairs.
a. Rigid classes, Shogunate and Daimyo, samurai, Japan’s Emperor acted as a symbol, no
power, feudal system. Very isolated from rest of the world.(outsiders would be shot at
2. After the fall of Tokugawa Shogunate the Meji Emperor began to industrialize Japan and
institute military reform.
a. Black Ships Incident (American Ships) seen on the coast (1854 treaty) which caused
Meji restoration, several shogunates combined power to create centralized government,
government built up industries then sold them to companies.
3. Once major industrialization was complete the Japanese began to look overseas to become
a major power of the world and began to imperialize in East Asia.
a. Imperialism, annexed Korea (Russo-Japan War), took parts of China (Sino-Japan War),
European powers forced Japan to give up Liaodong region.
a. Continuity=Political: Emperor did not have power, Economic: Did not allow European
products to enter Japan’s economic, Social: Did not allow Europeans to enter Japan.
COT Middle East
Thesis: Between 1600 and 1900,
A. Ottomans were stagnating in their oddness. 1.They had tax farming, limited central gov’t power and Janissaries discouraged any
attempts at reform to preserve their position of power.