Study Guides (248,610)
United States (123,460)
Boston College (3,492)
ARTH 1109 (3)
All (3)
Final

COMPLETE Aspects of Art Notes - Part 3 (got 90% on final)

5 Pages

Department
Art History
Course Code
ARTH 1109
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Terms for Mid­Term 1. Representational or Figurative work­ when art attempts to represent what we  see in the world around us a. Realism­ the accurate depiction of the visible world b. Idealism­ transforming the real world into one that approximates one’s  ideas of perfection c. Stylization­emphasizing design rather than exact representation when  working with natural form d. **Abstraction**­ simplification of real experiences. Extracting the  essence of real objects. Ex. Tree drawn very simply 2. Line­a mark or are that is significantly longer than it is wide a. Positive vs. Negative­ unfilled vs. filled space b. **Contour Lines**­ emphasize the form of an artwork and define its 3­ demensionality. Defines the outer boundaries of an object. i. Mass, volume and visual weight c. Eye lines d. Decorative vs. Descriptive­ provide surface embellishment vs. physical  nature of the object e. Gestural lines­directly reveal the artists arm at work 3. **Form­ 3­D areas or volume and mass** a. Reliefs  ▯low vs. high reliefs b. Frontal vs. Full Round form c. Walkthrough Works d. Closed vs. Open form i. Positive and Negative Space e. Static vs. Dynamic form f. **2­D Illusion of Form**  ▯use of Contour Lines i. Overlapping ii. Shading and Modeling of Contour Lines brings out spatial  depth 4. **Shape­ defined to 2­D areas; flat surface** a. Hard Edged vs. Soft Edged 5. **Space** a. How 2­D and 3­D space work in artworks and how they affect the  meaning of artworks b. Placement of images on picture plane c. One Point Perspective­the viewer’s eye line is to one point in space. Ex.  Picture of train tracks heading into the distance d. Two Point Perspective­when parallel lines appear to diverge toward two  different vanishing points. Ex. Looking at the corner of a building or  intersection of two hallways e. Three Point Perspective­when parallel lines converge upwardly as well  as to either side. f. Atmospheric Perspective­representing the tendency of things in the  distance to be less sharply defined in form, hues and value contrast than  forms that are closer to use, because of the effect of atmospheric haze. g. Point of View vs. Aerial View 6. Scale­often used to evoke awe and reverence. Experience is out of the ordinary. 7. **Texture**­ surface quality; how it would feel if we touched it. a. Actual texture b. Simulated texture  ▯trompe l’oeil “deceive the eye”=  when a visual  effect is so realistic that it totally fools our perceptions. 8. **Value**­relative lightness or darkness of an area. a. Highlights­areas that light strikes most directly are the lightest i. As contours curve away from the light source in space, the light  dims, making the surface appear darker, until it approaches a true  black in areas where light is fully blocked. ii. Helps show the extent to which a form swells out and draws back  in space. b. Local values­light and shade in the world as we see it i. Full tonal range c. Interpretive Values­when values are not handled realistically in art. Ex.  High Contrast works that only depict light and dark d. Chiaroscuro “light and shade”­ the depiction in a 2­D work of the  effects of light and shadow. Values are manipulated for their dramatic  effect. e. High Contrast vs. Low Contrast f. Reflectionsc▯ apture our attention 9. **Color**­immediate obvious aspect of a work of art a. Hues­wavelength properties by which we give colors names such as “red”  or “blue” b. Primary Colors­ red, yellow, and blue c. Secondary Colors­ orange, green and purple; mixing of primary colors d. Complementary Colors­ colors lying opposite of each other on the  wheel ▯ most of the time produce a neutral gray when these are mixed e. Saturation­measure of the relative brightness and purity of a color f. Interpretive Color­color choices are guided by the artist’s intent▯set  emotional tone of a work. Ex. Picasso’s “The Old Guitarist” i. Warm vs. Cool Colors g. Monochromic, analogous and triad color scheme h. Broken Colors­ an area that might seem to be 1 color is in fact comprised  of 2 or more colors. Ex. Eugene Delacroix i. Open vs. Closed Palette 10. Time a. Actual Movementk ▯ inetic sculpture b. Illusion of Movement c. Captured Moment d. Change Through Time 11. Repetitionh▯ as a powerful effect on viewer a. Pattern 12. Variety­change rather than sameness through time and space a. Transitions b. Contrast­abrupt change used to enhance our appreciation of both things  being compared. 13. Rhythm­created by repetition, variety and spacing in design. 14. Balance­the distribution of apparent visual weights so that they seem to offset one  another. a. Symmetrical vs. Asymmetrical balance i. Radial Balance­symmetry arranged around a central point 15. Compositional Unity­ the implied triangle or the double triangle pattern a. Using linear perspective to unify areas of the composition and also to 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit