Communication
Course
COMM 2291
Professor
Rita Rosenthal
Semester
Fall

Description
PERSUASIVE IMAGES ASPCA “arms of the angel” Visual Messages Attributes ­color ­form ­lines ­shapes ­lighting ­spatiality ­movement Represent Reality Attract Attention Emotional Appeal Serves as proof Suggest arguments to audiences Application of visual communication Visual spectacle: what you always see Logo Architecture Slogan = repeated & easily seen Persuasion and Language Created a social reality Symbol use Naming Framing Structuring Messages 1) Explicit vs. implicit a. tells you vs. doesn’t tell you 2) Gained framed vs. loss framed a. What will you get vs. what will you lose 3) Quantity vs. Quality a. How often vs. is it good quality  4) Evidence & citing evidence a. Will the audience just accept the message or do you need statistics 5) Repetition & mere exposure a. See it over and over again vs. just happened to be in the area 6) Primary vs. recency a. Start with point vs. end with point 7) One sided vs. two sided a. Just my view vs. show your position and the counter view.  8) Forewarning and inoculation  a. Warns audience about your message vs. give other side and refute Sequential Persuasion Pre giving: give before event Foot­In­Door: small  ▯big Foot­In­Mouth: “oops, I didn’t mean to say that…” Door­In­Face: big  ▯small But that’s not all: “but wait, there’s more” Lowball: the audiences low counter Bait & Switch: show one thing and get another I’m so confused: if you help me, then you’ll give me the benefit of the doubt Electronic Eloquence Personification: just like you Self disclosure: tell audience your back story Conversational style:  you’re my pal, lets come to an agreement Verbal distillation: synecdoche slogan, a lot in one phrase Verbal Dramatization Pseudo­events: make it seem like an event is bigger than it is (OJ Trial)  Compliance Gaining • Actions speak louder • Situation makes a difference • Power, legitimacy, politeness CULTURAL PREMISES Defining Culture Two different concepts  ­types of products produced by a particular society (tv/film/tv) where did we learn it? ­whole ways of life text definition: The active process of generating and circulating meanings and pleasures within a social system.  (Beliefs, Values and Behaviors) Frymier & Nadler  Shared and learned behavior from one generation to the next  Promote individual and social survival and growth Marsella’s definition 1994 Culture is shared learned behavior which is transmitted from one generation to another for purposes of  promoting individual and social survival, adaptation, and growth and development.  Culture has both  external (artifacts, institutions) and internal representations (beliefs, values, sensory styles).  Basics of Culture ­cultural patterns ­cultural training and societal pressure (who taught you?) ­majority vs. others (does majority rule? What about fringe group) ­double speak (genetic engineering makes negative sound positive) ­cultural buzz (create a stir/fads) ­cultural scanning (survey a current situation) Cultural Beliefs  Primary Beliefs  Immigrant Beliefs  Frontier Beliefs  Religious and Moral Beliefs  Social Beliefs  Political Beliefs  Beliefs on Human Nature Cultural Values • Achievement/success • Efficiency and practicality • Freedom & Equality  • Progress • Individualism • Effort and Optimism Cultural Images and Myths  The Wisdom of the Rustic (Man vs. Wild)  The Possibility of Success (American Idol)  The Coming of a Messiah (Obama election)  The Presence of Conspiracy (9/11, moon landing)  The Value of Challenge (The Biggest Loser)  The Eternal Return (Terminator) The Presence of the American Value System  Puritan and Pioneer Morality  The Value of the Individual  Achievement and Success  Change and Progress  Ethical Equality  Effort and Optimism  Efficiency, Practicality and Pragmatism Reich’s Cultural Parables The Mob at the Gates All waiting for something to get excited about The Triumphant Individual I am awesome! The Benevolent Community It takes a village Rot at the Top They few rich in the country are ruining America Cultural Behaviors Insistence on Choice Pursuit of Impossible Dreams Obsession with Big and More Impatience with Time Acceptance of Mistakes Urge to Improvise Fixation with What’s New Maintaining Culture Hegemony: one culture over others and try to remain that way (patriarchy)  Transforming Culture Consumer culture: stainless steel fridge Multiculturalism: power distance, avoid uncertainty, individualism, masculinity (gender roles) Image of a Cultural Premise ­expertise ­trustworthy ­dynamism IMAGES OF THE SOURCE ­Characteristics of Images synthetic, believable, vivid, simplified, ambiguous. ­Effects of Images on Audiences cognitive, emotional, behavioral ­*Creating and Image composing, saturating, convincing ­Media and Images stereotyping, selection, manipulation ­Choosing Meaning of an Image ­Evaluating Images Framing: How do you put context around it to get your audience to understand  Cronkite and Liska­5 Factors ­Source Characteristics ­Attributes Inferred about the Source does the source understand we are making these inferences? Are they gaining or losing credibility in our  eyes? What can the source do for the audience? ­Functions the Source Performs from the Audience ­Criteria Used by the Receivers to Judge the suitability of the Source (situational) Can change with regard to the situation ­Changes in Receiver Information Processing I just want to hear this/ I just want to see this?  S
More Less

Related notes for COMM 2291

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit