COMPLETE Environmental Geosciences II: Earth Processes and Risks Notes -- got 90% in the course!

24 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Earth & Environmental Sciences
EESC 1168

01/18/2013 1. Philosophical points of this class  human settlement Turns a natural occurring hazard into a risk Find a way to live in these natural environments  2. Four principles of natural disasters understand them analyze the risk hazards are linked  human activity influences but does not determine severity of events 3. We can take advantage of the oral history to tell us about natural hazards An 1846 painting by the American folk painter Edward Hicks, depicting the animals boarding Noah’s Ark in  pairs.  He was very religious, but also drew based upon folk tales.  4. Use aerial images to tell us where natural hazards have occurred  5. 2011 Mississippi floods  6. Geological deposits can tell us something about a given event prior to human records  7. Flood deposits from Glacial Lake Bonneville 8. Our ability to minimize the hazard depends on analyzing the risk Perception vs. reality: what is the probability that the 100 people in this room at least 2 of you have the  EXACT same birthday? TURNS OUT THE ANSWER IS E!!!!!!!! Why? Because your perception iz WRONG BRAJ. Basic probability shows uz dat  Odds of a particular b­day bein unique is 365/365 Odds of a second b­day being unique, 364/365 (like woah) DIS WONT BE ON DA EXAM  9. REAL risk (probability x cost) vs. PERCEIVED risk (amplified or attenuated) Unfamiliarity Dread Ability to recollect examples Lack of control Observability  10. Hazards are linked.  But in what way? What will happen to these hillsides of an earthquake occurs? A) nothing B) the river will change directions C) land sliding on the hill slopes D) the river will erode in certain places  Answer is C  11. Human activity influences the severity How does the passage of a flood wave change with and without the effect of humans?  12. Which of the following is not an example of linked hazards A) Earthquakes cause landslides B) Frequent storms cause river flooding C) Hurricanes cause excessive coastal erosion D) Volcanic eruptions cause river flooding  13. Once we understand hazards we can predict when they will occur again This is the fundamental way we mitigate the damage associated with hazards This is usually done with 3 techniques: Observations Statistical models Mathematical models  14. We can observe evidence of previous natural hazards and assume they will occur there again Weakest type of prediction Doesn’t tell us anything about when and where the next hazard will occur.  15. Statistical predictions use old data to predict future occurrences Intermediate effectiveness The simplest statistical model is a linear regression Linear regression is an equation that describes the relationships between two variables 16. Predictions from mathematical models use physical equations to forecast when what will happen Strongest type of prediction Mathematical models take equations that approximate real world phenomenon and forecast what will  happen A model we are all familiar with: A=P(1+r/n)^nt Compounding interest model  The Tohoku earthquake offshore of Japan caused a tsunami.  How long wi ll it take for the tsunami to reach San Francisco?  A) 30 mins B) 1 hour C) 3 hours D) 5 hours  E) 10 hours  Predictions are dangerous Because… Scientists have GREAT POWER and must use it carefully A hasty warning can significantly disrupt the economy But, often times even a thoughtful warning can be poorly received.  By all account Irene was going to be a dangerous storm, and NYC authorities handled the situation  beautifully Yet, people were still upset To counter this we need to help people understand the challenges  Origin of the Universe: the big bang theory I. Hubbles Law: Galaxies are receding from us at a speed proportional to their distance • i.e. farther away are moving faster II. Big bang happened about 15 million years ago based on 2 pieces of evidence.  The first is Hubbles law  that says galaxies are moving away from us.  III. 2  line of evidence: a calculation from the expansion of the universe.  After the expansion the universe  began to cool which allowed it to settle into elementary particles.  Smaller than an atom.  • Have not been able to capture it, it’s just a theory for now.  • These particles collide, stick together to form protons and neutrons.  Fundamental component  of atoms.  Hydrogen can be formed from this Birth of the Solar System and Earth I. A flat, rapidly floating disk forms.  The matter concentrated at the center will become the proto­Sun.  II. The inner planets are small and rocky. III. The giant outer planets are gaseous, with rocky cores.  IV.  Most of the heavier elements exist in small (inner) planets.  V. Internal structure of the Earth: Densest materials sunk to inner core. a. Crust b. Mantle c. Liquid iron outer core d. Solid iron inner core  VI. Crust a. Continents = granitic b. Oceanic crust = basalt VII. Mantle a. Iron­rich silicates VIII.Basalt, granite, oceanic crust, continental crust  a. Oceanic crust: more dense compared to the continental crust.  Lays on bottom of the  ocean, much lower than continent obviously.   b. Continental crust: less dense, floats higher on the mantle IX. Mantle: mostly solid, iron­rich silicates X. Composition of the whole earth a. Most abundant = Iron  XI. Drilling a hole a. Deepest well on land – 15km b. Drilled by Soviets c. Bottom hole temperature = 190c d. Cost > $100 million  e. Stopped because of high cost.  XII. Analyzing Volcanic rocks  a. Can look at different materials under the volcano XIII.Geophysical methods a. Seismology XIV.How do we know the age of the Earth? a. Radiometric dating of meteorites found on Earth, and rocks brought back from the moon  (4.6 billion yrs. Aprox). b. Oldest rocks on earth aprox. 4.0 billion yrs. c. Early Earth was very hot, high heat flow, raid degassing (volcanism), intense meteorite  bombardment).   Minerals I. Important for modern world economies II. Important for human history a. Copper b. Iron c. Gold d. Diamonds e. Other gems  f. ROCKS=GOOD III. All rocks on earth are made from natural elements on earth▯element from periodic table IV. Elements▯minerals▯rocks V. Atom (smallest particle)▯nucleus, protons (+), neutrons (o), electrons (­) VI. Elements cant be broken down VII. 8 elements make up 98%of geospheres mass  Isotopes I. Isotopes are “nuclides” of a single element that have different atomic weights II. A “nuclide” is any distinctive type of atom III. “Stable” Isotopes do not decay radioactively  a. Spontaneous process where on element▯another by ejecting a mass.  IV.  Isotope: same type of element that have different weights Isotopes of Hydrogen  I. 1H, 2H, 3H, 16O, 17O, 18O Oxygen Isotopes  16O: 99.76% 17O: 0.04% 18.O: 0.20%  I. Ion = charged particle II. Cation = positive charge (lose electrons, i.e. Fe+2) III. Anion = negative charge (gain electrons, i.e., O­2)  Bonding I. Ionic bonding a. Sodium▯chlorine atom=NaCl b. Sodium loses one electron▯electrical attraction▯chlorine acquires it.  II. Covalent Bonding a. Carbon atoms are arranged in a regular tetrahedral structure b. Carbon atoms share electrons between atoms.  III. In general covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds  Mineral I. A naturally occurring solid, crystalline substance, generally inorganic, with a specific chemical  composition.  II. Consists of one or more elements  III. Most common rock forming elements (table 1.2).  Quartz (SiO2) I. Color: clear, white, gray or pink II. Habit: 6­sided prisms III. Hardness: 7 (Moh’s scale of 1­10) IV. Fracture: conchoidal V. Occurrence: continental crust, sediments Feldspars I. Two types:  Potassium­feldspar KAIsi3O8 Plagioclase (Na, Ca)(Si, AL)4O8 White, gray, pinkish H=6­6.5 4­sided prisms 2 cleavages at 90o Cleavage: tendency to split along structure planes  ­Feldspars chemically alter to produce clays and micas ­Clays have a layered atomic structure, not strongly bonded.  Water can occupy space in the structure.   Some clays expand when wet and contract when dry, thus making poor foundations. Mincas are silicate materials whose internal structures include a plane with very weak bonds.  They easily  break (cleave) into sheets along this plane.  Biotite (dark mica) is an iron­bearing mineral.  Muscovite  (silvery minca) is potassium­rich Ferromagnesian Minerals I. Fe and Mg (similar in size, 2+ charge) – can substitute in mineral structures Metamorphic rocks I. Schist: has foliation, meaning minerals are platy (e.g. mica) and parallel.  The surface has a “sheen”.  (Forms from shales, sandstones , basalts, etc…) II. Gneiss: has bands of differentiated minerals, often ery deformed­in other words, squiggly.  (Forms  from granite, sandstones, etc.) III. Marble: metamorphosed limestone. IV. Metamorphism: requires higher pressures and/or temperatures than lithification  Plate Tectonics: The Modern Theory of the Earth (Part 1) I. What is plate tectonics?  How does it work? II. History of a scientific revolution a. Early thoughts b. “Continental Drift” c. Discoveries on the sea floor d. Putting it together  III. Plate Tectonics: the theory that proposes that Earth’s outer shell (lithosphere) consists of individual  pieces (plates) that are mobile, thereby interacting in various ways to produce earthquakes,  volcanoes, mountains, vasins and the crust itself IV.  Plate tectonics explains: broad spatial patterns and frequencies of hazards (e.g earthquakes and  volcanoes) and resources (e.g. mineral deposits, oil, reservoirs, geothermal fields).  V. Lithospheric plates a. 14 big ones, 38 small ones (microplates)  VI. Different plates move at different directions at different speeds a. Velocity can be measured.  Generally <10 cm/yr b. Note: motions are relative to the Antarctic plate.  All GPS motions are relative to something  (i.e., reference frame), which we assume to be fixed).  VII. Lithosphere vs. Crust a. Mantle is brittle (will break when too much force is applied).   b. Lithosphere (most solid) vs. Crust (deeper aka increasing temp and pressure  increases▯more tactile).  Continental accretion: I. Continents expand by adding new lands along their margins II. Shield areas: tracts of ancient (>billion yr. old) a. “roots” of ancient mountains b. metamorphic rock, low relief. c. Very stable – low risk of geologic hazards.  Alfred Wegener (1880­1930) I. German meteorologist and Arctic explorer II. Scientific revolutionary▯continents move! III. Scientific outcast▯turns out science “moves” too! Wegener’s “Continental Drift” hypothesis I. put forth in The origin of Continents and Oceans II. Five lines of evidence that continents had been connected as one supercontinent, Pangaea, until  the Mesozoic (250­65 million yrs ago) III. Pangaea broke up and the continents drifted to current positions by “plowing” through oceanic  crust.  Wegener’s lines of evidence I. Fit of the continents  II. Records of glaciation  III. Distribution of equatorial climate belts  IV. Distribution of fossils: mesosaurus, lystrosaurus, cynognathus, glossopteris.  V. Matching geologic units  Wegener’s tragic end I. Died on an expedition to Greenland (1930) II. Never saw his idea become the foundation for plate tectonics II
More Less

Related notes for EESC 1168

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.