March 13 – The Origins of WWI
1. Triple Entente: France allied with Russia and UK
2. Triple Alliance:Germany allied with Hungary-Austria
3. Dreadnaught: British’s best battleship which caused the Schlieffen Plan by Germany.
4. Schlieffen Plan: Used by the German to avoid a sea battle. It failed.
5. Serbia: Assassinated the heir of the Austrian thrown
6. Bosnia: New land that Austria-Hungary took over; was where the heir and his wife was
7. Archduke Ferdinand: The person that got assassinated.
8. Gavrilo Princip: The Serbian nationalist that assassinated Ferdinand.
9. Marne (1914): First World War I battle. Germans lost.
10. Maxim Gun: Machine gun used by the British Army.
11. Verdun: Battle between French and German. One of the most devastating battles of WWI.
12. Kill Ratio: The French had more casualties than the Germans.
13. Mustard Gas: Most effective gas in WWI.
14. Lusitania: The sinking of this US ship by Germany was one of the reasons why US joined
15. Somme (1916): Worst battle of WWI; over a million casualties.
16. Treaty of Versailles (1919): Treaty that ended WWI. Germany had to pay the reparations.
17. League of Nations: A nation created for world peace.
19. Bolshevik: Group created by Lenin.
20. Menshevik: Group created by Martov. Was bigger than the Bolshevik.
21. Vladimir Ilich Ulianov aka Lenin: Leader of the Bolshevik
22. Vanguard: A movement of workers Lenin created to bring about a revolution.
23. Kerenskey: Food, civil service with issues of land ownership for peasants, food, war
24. Stalin: a communist general
27. Kornilov: Russian general that led the Petrograd
28. Trotsky: A Bolshevik leader. Fought with Stalin for power
29. NEP: A policy to nationalize banks/companies. Gave peasants rights, free market for food.
Replaced by stalin’s 5 year plan,
March 29 – Fascism
31. Fascio: A name for people who followed fascism.
32. Fiat: Company that made fighter aircraft; Supported by fascists. 33. Mussolini: One of the very first Fascism leaders. Created a totalitarianism
34. Lateran Treaty: Signed by Mussolini; A treaty that led Italy to have a Fascist Govt; Ended
Catholic as a central religion for Italy.
April 3 – The Rise of Hitler
35. Mien Kampf: Hitler’s book when he was in jail. The book tells what Hitler wants to do and how he
would do it. Hitler wants to undo the injustice that was done to Germany at the peace conference.
36. Sturmabteilung aka SA: Hitler’s own military army he formed. Their job was to disrupt
meetings from the opponent’s side in order to protect Hitler’s plans.
37. Kristallnacht: “Night of Broken Glass”. At night, the SA destroyed Jew’s buildings and
killed/arrested many Jews.
38. Hossbach Memorandum: A summary of a meeting with Hitler to outline his future plans for
expansion; planned to attack Britain and France in a couple of years.
39. Lebensraum: A political idea to expand Nazi Germany.
40. Sudetenland: A land Hitler took from Czech because he thought it would was a German
land; one reason