April 10 – World War II
Hossbach Memorandum –
Appeasement – A group of peace.
Nazi-Soviet Pact –
The Battle of Britain –
Pearl Harbor –
• The most brutal event in history.
• The people of Germany influenced others that Poland was a possible German territory.
• Reinforcement of German military so they would be at their top when they battle
• By the time they reached top military, other nations would notice this and respond.
• In this case, the best time for Germany to attack would be between 1943-1945.
• To make this possible, Germany would undo certain agreements from the Versailles
Treaty to allow this to happen.
• Petroleum had become essential by the time WWII came around.
• Germany had NO oil (fuel for war).
• Soviet union had a lot of Petroleum
• Lenin’s economic program was not industrially militarily progressive enough for Stalin. • Stalin would create a 5 year plan to increase industrialism.
• Collectivization of Russian land would be a progression for this 5 year plan.
• Because of this, almost 20million people will be starving.
• Whatever Hitler’s evil intent against Jews and other, most German people were not
aware of what Hitler was going to do.
• 1932-the war, the Nazi govt. took many steps that was obvious of his plans. Examples
would be determining if how Jewish a person is by their eye color. Influenced kids by
making anti-Jew books.
• Night Of Broken Glass – a Jewish day inn that was destroyed. 91 Jews were killed and
31,000 people were arrested. Many of their churches, hospital, etc. were destroyed.
• 1938 – Hitler established a union that brought together all the German people of the
• Czech Slovakia had a very strong defensive border. Czech was anti-German.
• German offered to send troops to Czech to help them defend themselves.
• Germany took over Sudetenland and because Czech did not have power, Germany took
• Hitler was negotiating secretly with Stalin. Germany and Soviet Union had arrived with a
mutual defense pact. A communist and anti-communist nation came together. Stalin did
this after seeing that his friends, Britain and France, not helping Czech. For this, he
feared that the policy of Appeasement was a policy to direct Hitler to the Soviet Union.
Secondly, Stalin had to stall for time.
• 1939 – Hitler invaded Poland. 1.8million German troops invaded Poland.
• Britain and France decided to wage war on Germany after the Poland defeat and this
essentially started WWII.
• Both sides were not ready for the war. Hitler thought that his enemies would back out.
• Paris was occupied by Germany. A few days later, France surrendered.
• Germany attacked the British. Buildings and homes were destroyed but they didn’t take
down their morale.
• Britain didn’t have aircrafts to go against Germany but they established radar to pinpoint
when Germany’s aircraft came. • Stalin refused to leave Moscow, Russian Winter Weekend. -> German didn’t have anti-
• Japanese attacked America’s Pearl Harbor which brought USA into WWII.
April 12 – [ ]
Rape of Nanking –
Manhattan Project –
Robert Oppenheimer – created the atomic bomb.
Mao Zedong –
Kim II-Sung –
Bay of Pigs –
Yuri Gagarin – Notes:
• Cold war is the world’s response to the World Wars.
• Cold war – geopolitical dynamic of post-world war.
• Comic books – one of nations cultural widespread in the 1950’s.
• The winners of WWII (Soviet Union and China) were more affected in mortality than the
losers (Germany and Japan).
• Japan had economic problems in trading. Difficult for Japan to be involve in markets.
• Japan had an energy resource deficiency. Coal was important but soon oil was essential
for military use. J