History
Course
HIST 1019
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Sugar Slavery and Tobacco Slavery. More than ½ a million were brought from Africa to new world for slavery. By 1776 – there were more slaves in the colonies because of the reproduction (growing exponentially  as families rather than linearly with importation) Both: Both systems produced profit and gave rise to investment capital used for the industrial revolution  in England Both enriched the planters. Both increased colonial trade. Tobacco – Virginia/Barbados: Slaves reproduced Englishmen settled in Barbados to produce tobacco. • Spring of 1630, George Asby (blacksmith, not a farmer) – had 5lbs (good $) • Arrived in Barbados – bought 9 acres of land, cleared, and planted tobacco. • Made a little money, left to his heirs, and 2  generation sons left tobacco plantation for sugar,  which is when they became profitable.  • Climate of VA better than Barbados for tobacco. • For market reasons, Barbados farmers switched to sugar. • Turned to Dutchmen/Portuguese (Madeira) as sugar­production experts Less Brutal, but whippings were still used for discipline: • William Byrd II kept a secret (public) diary. o In order to keep discipline, punishment had to be dealt out whimsically and  randomly.  He would come back from a night of playing cards and randomly whip  sleeping slaves. o Also lusted after women slaves  Call women into big house, along with the woman’s lover.  1740 – made Eugene drink a liter of pee. Virginia planter’s goal of autonomy. • Already economically independent through tobacco, why not go for political independence.  o Therefore, slaves = family and planter  = father. o This mythology covered notion of political autonomy.  (I want to hold my family together from outside, govt forces).  (Sneaky way of wanting independence.) •  Some slaves needed to be taught how to run an autonomous plantation o Needed slaves to build barrels, stonewalls, etc. o Didn’t want to bring in outsiders, so they risked it on the slaves.  Those skilled slaves were the greatest danger to flee and try to succeed  elsewhere (had a marketable skill)  Slaves would be rented in between planters. o Slave patrols:  Capture = 20 sterling  Death = 40 sterling
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1019

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit