1720 ▯1776 The Economic Crisis In the American
• Deeply indebt to buy English Goods
• Couldn’t make goods themselves
• Wealth that existed was inequitably distributed.
• Goingson in England was not only not the common good, but people
thought (conspiracy) that the English was trying to enslave them and
strip them of their rights.
Objectively England was just trying to make England better, but
Americans did not have the vocabulary and objective retrospective lens to
understand England’s modernization.
Conspiratorially They are trying to enslave us!
Evidence: 175463 Great Britain and the colonies go to war against
the French. American Troops alienated during the war.
• Colonials call it French and Indian War.
• Europeans called it the 7 years war.
• It has also been called the Great War For Empire.
o English also waged war in the East with India against the
o Global conflict for control of trade.
• Initially, England wanted to send royal troops here.
o That was dropped in favour of American troops to cut costs of
o “As loyal subjects, they will volunteer!”
o Americans were reluctant to join the British army, as it was
noted for its brutality. Term of service in the army was life.
• To get them into the army, Americans were bribed (recruited)
• Troops were American. Officers were English.
o George Washington, after defeating the French and driving
them back from whence they came, was stripped of his title.
o Americans were successful fighting with guerilla tactics. During the war
• Remember, colonial legislative bodies were much more representative
than those in England. So:
o During the war, their grievances had an immediate political
reaction. Their complaints were being heard.
After the war: Stamp Act
• How come the people in England are not paying for the war? How
come we have to bear the burden for the war.
• This later became no taxation without representation