How did it come about?
Why were the colonies successful in establishing a Republican form of govt, the first in
Arguably, economic and political changes within Britain (Glorious Rev, industrialization,
etc.) coincided with economic and political changes within the changes, but they were not
harmonious, and thus revolution.
Wealth of Nations
• Slew the dragon of mercantilism.
o Colonies were supposed to be slaves for offloading of goods and
production of goods for the motherland. What’s good for motherland is
good for colonies. This is not quite right.
o Navigation Acts = manifestation of this common good between B and
All of the goods going between B and Col must be carried in
English ships. Force Dutch out of trade.
Policy did benefit the colonies. COMMON GOOD IS A FACTOR,
2/3 of English ships built in Col, because we had the materials.
Turning point in 1713 – English Economic Crisis Parl. Tried to solve.
• Need funds for war against spain.
o Either: Increase taxes on Eng. Land.
o Increase trade with Colonies.
1757 – Turning point comes to a head Samuel Johnson’s Dictionary redefines
• Old Definition: Having a part in something
• New Definition: influence or advantage manifested by a private group.
• This change in definition leads one member of Parl. To say that “interest” rules
o Advantage, influence over others, etc. rules the world.
o The talk of the common good is pushed aside in favor of state policy that
benefits individual investors, who have an interest in parliament.
• Policy Shi t!
o Individual interest expands because Parliament Has power toincrease
expansion in colonies so that its members will personally benefit from that
expansion. o Common good shrugged away.
Conflict between B and C
1733, 1764 Sugar Acts
• About collecting a tax on sugar (foreign) imported into the colonies to advance
• For colonial merchants to profit, colonial merchant