History
Course
HIST 1019
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
9/23 The Reformation Religion = cultural glue. Don’t eat it. It was about: • What kind of values did society hold? • How did they think about/ react to the advancement of capitalism Also created a different political system: • More than a century of wars were fought across Europe. They were all about  faith. • This conflict between Catholicism and Protestantism  plays an enormous part in this development. Martin Luther is the spur of Protestantism • Very committed to reform, NOT REVOLUTION. • However, the hierarchy of the Catholic Church  thought he was some crazy revolutionary seeking the  complete and utter destruction of the Catholic  Church. • “Nope, just want to reform the Church so that they  will adopt the correct beliefs” • Stressed Individualism  as the path to faith, BUT he  supported the hierarchy (political) that existed. German federation – (State) – Cluster of states under HRE.  7 Electors, 7 princes and 3 arch bishops. • They maintain stability • In traditional agriculture society (which is scattered ­ cluster  of states, right?), it is hard to maintain stability, which is  why you need muscle and some 1502 Luther came to ??? • Graduated from university of Urfurt in 1502 • 15 years later obtained master. • On path to become Catholic priest. • His father was a (silver) mining entrepreneur. • (See signs of a transformation going on. Father wants son to become a lawyer. But  his dream is to become a priest/ cleric. Caught in a thunderstorm • Out of fear, screams out, Saint Anne, SAVE ME AND I’LL DO WHATEVER  YOU WANT – BRING YOU NUTELLA, PEANUTBUTTER, EVEN BECOME  A MONK • Thus he became an Augustinian monk, and a great one at that. • He was excellent. Other monks were lax bro’s. Way to lax – too much given to  good food and drink, and not the faith. • Luther scrupulously followed the rules of the order, yet still believed that he had  fallen way, way short of God’s plan for him. Self­image issues. Thought • He asked himself “how can I be being such a good Christian yet still loathing  myself. Why am I still falling so short?” o This intellectual introspection into the Church’s practices, Luther was  protected by the elector of Saxony. o Hence he is able to speak out against the church. o Interested in purifying the curch and rectifying its errors.  E.G its sale of indulgences and its corrupt practices. • Saint’s merits transferred to sinful individual in order to  limit time in purgatory • In ______ Pope Julius sold indulgences to build a church • Others used it to fund crusades.  • In germany o Pope wanted to nominate Albert as archbishop or Mienz o But to take that office, Albert had to raise a fee. o Borrowed the money from Jacob Fuger to pay fee. • Luther thought this was some BULLLLLLLL SHIT. o Luther argued there was no such thing as superfluous merit. o Even if there was, the Pope had no right to bestow it upon people. • Luther also argued: o Man’s salvation is not achieved through the priest, and that the priest does  not have the power of transubstantiation (turning water and bread to flesh  and blood). o In fact, the belief that THAT is the path to salvation is not only wrong, but  an obstacle to man’s achievement of salvation. o THESE BELIEFS LEAD MEN INTO SIN RATHER THAN  SALVATION. • Three principles of Luther’s argument 1. By faith alone a. It is every man and woman’s responsibility to seek salvation on  their own. Priests/ sacraments were an obstacle to salvation and not  the m
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1019

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit