1. What is Apology about?
• Socrates’trail for being accused of
o Criticizing the cities religion
o Introducing new gods
o Bad example for the youth
• Where he has to defend himself in front of judges
2. Describe Socrates as an ideal philosopher. What makes the difference between him and
• Does not think he knows what he does not know.
• Other philosophers believe they know what they do not making Socrates’s wiser.
3. Describe Socrates’position at the beginning of his trial. How does he answer to his
• Socrates will only speak the truth
4. Why does Socrates claim that he is god’s gift to the city? Why does he say that he is a
kind of gadfly?
• Improves city by questioning them, to help them to find out what they don’t know
• Look for truth as a result and persuade to look for virtue
• Compares self to gadfly because something so small can move a horse as he can
move a city
5. Why doesn’t he want to bring his children to the court? (3 reasons)
• Does not want to beg for mercy, or be disgraceful