Spring Semester Exam 2.docx

19 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1090
Professor
Daniel Frost

This preview shows pages 1,2,3,4. Sign up to view the full 19 pages of the document.
Description
Rousseau: Treatise on the Origin of Inequality 02/14/2013 If you remember Hobbes says “our equality is the cause of infiite trouble it leads to Competition Diffidence Glory Rousseau agrees with this assessment but disagrees you will find these things in the state of nature instead  Hobbes savages have all passions of the civilized For Rousseau its as if Hobbes looks around him took an inventory of peoples problems, and them imagines  what they would be like in a lawless world But these problems are the result of our amour proper or “civilized vanity” Rousseau’s anticipation of Marx Concept of “alienation” (Especially of workers) The objection to “private property” and its creation of a system of “haves/have nots” legitimized by a state  designed to protect the property of the “haves” The solution, therefore must be to sacrifice the individual will to the collective, which Rousseau famously  calls “the general will” History is developing process that is intelligible and unfolds in a cycle of reaction and rebellion. Each  system sews the seeds for its own destruction. Class is the problem must envision a world where there is no class distinction Rousseau’s four stages of human development Nascent Man ▯ state of nature man. doesnt want anything he doesn’t need. Asocial because he is content  with what he has and needs. His need for self preservation keeps him docile and from getting into  entanglements The first revolution ▯ establishment of family life/unit and a sort of property. Claim your family is your own  property Nascent Society▯ When theses family units group together into a village or some kind of agrarian society.  An innocent collection with barter system (we should have stopped here bc some competition but very  innocent) The Great Revolution▯ the invention of metallurgy and agriculture. Nature wanted iron to be kept in the  earth. Once you discover iron you can have power over other people and make them your workers. If you  can make bread you have power over those who cant make bread. In position of power to exploit someone. The nascent inequality▯ power imbalance from the people who can produce. The Nascent Government▯ the reason we left the state of nature or the state of nascent society because for   the people who had things that were worth protecting and in power t was beneficial for them to establish  this government. Foisted upon people by people who have stuff to protect it and keep ppl without stuff  stuffless Stage #2: Nascent Society “the isthmus of a middle state” “this state was the least subject to upheavals and the best for man, and he must have left it only by virtue of  some fatal chance happening that, for the common good, ought never to have happened” “fatal chance happening” ▯ Metallurgy and agriculture, Iron and Wheat Step #3: Nascent Inequality Property brought crimes and horrors the human race could have been spared Stage #4: Nascent Government “New fetters to the week and new forces to the rich, irretrievably destroyed natural liberty, established  forever the law of property and the inequality, changed adroit usurpation into an irrevocable right, and for  the profit of a few ambitious men henceforth subject the entire human race to labor, servitude and misery” Rousseau vs Locke Locke ▯ property extends to your person without it you will be property of the state Rousseau▯ defending property subjects the human race to labor, servitude, and misery Martin Luther: On the Crisis of Liberty 02/14/2013 The Crisis of modern thought Rene Descartes David Hume Immanuel Kant The Crisis of Christian Thought Martin Luther▯ thinks he is liberating you from the tyranny of the Church. “…Slaves to the vilest men on  earth…” Blaise Pascal Ignatius of Loyola The turn to the subject in Philosophy “The Subject” tries to make observations on “The Object.” ▯ “the water is blue, the trees are green, etc” this betokens a naive realism that we think the observations we make actually relate to the world. How do  you know your perceptions of the world actually match. Instead of studying the external world you spin it  around on the mind. “how do you know the blue you perceive in the water is actually in the water? How do you know it is not just  in your consciousness?” you see a rainbow bc of the anatomy of your eyes. in a way you created that rainbow. How do you know it  exists objectively in the real world? Does it correspond? The turn to the Subject in Theology Everyone is looking for God in the world but maybe he is in the consciousness. Birth of modern Philosophy and Theology. Before you can talk about what maybe out there you must analyze how the mind works Martin Luther Germany in 1483. Anxiety concerning his identity and purpose Augustinian monk ▯ drove him to unbearable sense of his own sinfulness Reading Paul God doesn’t require a total transformation of our impure nature Martin Luther: On the Crisis of Liberty 02/14/2013 “justification by faith alone” Grace/Faith not works “The just shall live by faith” ▯ Paul “It is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast” Ephesians 2:8­10 95 Theses Primary Objection: The way the Catholic Church, courtesy of Medieval scholastic philosophers (like Aquinas), had appropriated  Aristotle. In the 41  thesis ofDisputation against Scholastic Theology,  Luther says, “the whole of Aristotle’s  Ethics is the worst enemy of grace” Through the efforts of people like Aquinas, the church had accepted Aristotle’s view that human nature was  capable of “cultivating a certain measure of virtue or righteousness.” But Luther felt this downplayed our “fallen state: and gave an unjustified role to the moral efforts of human  beings within the economy of salvation. Holy Sonnet 14   by John Donne Catholic and then converted to the Anglican Church “Batter my heart three person God…” makes metaphor about slavery. He compares himself to a usurped  town held captive by an enemy ▯ the devil. He wants god to come in and vanquish this siege but to no end.  Hes a prisoner and he cant get free. Hes married to sin. Married to your enemy. Divorce me take me to you  and imprison me or else ill never be free. I wont be chaste unless you ravish me. The 95 Thesis Indulgences Let them deal with the dark part of their soul rather than false assurances of peace Luther’s powerful Anti­Authority Legacy: “A Priesthood of all Believers” If everyone in the church is to be called priests then what distinguishes the priests from the laity. Holy  scripture makes no distinction between them. There’s a practical use for hierarchy and ceremony but no  mention r distinction in scripture.  Radical democratization of theology. Rising tide of democratic sentiment in ecclesiastical authority and  government.  Self­appropriation Noesis  “the act of knowing” Martin Luther: On the Crisis of Liberty 02/14/2013 Noema  “the object known” Can you make explicit (in words and concepts) what is happening in your own consciousness as you  attempt to understand? In other words, what are you doing when you do knowing. How do you know your  perceptions to the external world if its real actually respond to the external world.  Hat makes our knowledge legitimate? On what grounds does our knowledge stand? If our knowledge stand on shaky grounds, skepticism reigns. If skepticism reigns, we must give up the  philosophical and scientific pursuit and become accountants.  The Mind Body Problem Why should th mind have subjectivity. Where do feelings like guilt exists how can they be physical. What is  their ontological status are they identical with the brain.  Catholic church places too much on works not on grace and you play no causal role on your salvation.  Liberate yourself from the assumption that you can do it on your own.  Annoyed at indulgences▯ presumption you can do something to get spiritual salvation. Justification by faith  alone Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy 02/14/2013 Cartesian Dualism (Substance Dualism0 Res Cogitas “ThinkingThing” The “I”, “The Mind” The Cogito Res Extensa “Extended Thing” The physical world Hobbes Objects to Descartes Casper Problem. Never give Causal explanation for how the mind makes the  body move Descarte thinks the Pinal Gland makes the body move (incorrect) the psycho neural nexus Robotic hand is a challenge to descarts dualism Somewhere in between Naïve Realism and NIave Idealsm  Niave Realism The method of Skepticism Niave idealismCritical. Intelligent Realism Sollapcism▯ only the existence of your own mind you can be sure of. The way he gets out of this is through  invoking God Descartes Third Meditation: The Proof of God’s existence Through more self appropriation, Descartes reasons his ideas are of three types Fictitious: created by the mind by synthesizing one idea with another (unicorns, griffins) Adventitious: stamped on the mind by another source in the external world (this desk, coffee, etc) Innate: inborn, inherent At this point, ironically, I can only be certain of those ides “I” (Cogito) invent (fictitious) because I’m not even  sure if there is an external world yet Descartes soon reasons however that adventitious ideas differ from fictitious ideas because I cannot will  they away they seem independent of my will but that is not proof He then reasons God is clearly not an adventitious idea since there is no God on the Material world to  cause the idea (as in the existence of books walls and bridges the question is god a creation of my own  mind? If not then the idea of God is innate. The Archimedian Point Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy 02/14/2013 ARGUMENT 1 1. Something cannot come from nothing (is his an innate idea) 2. The cause of an idea must have come from a formal reality as the idea has objective  reality 3. I have an idea of god this idea has an infinite objective reality 4. If my mind is the cause of this idea, I must have infinite objective reality 5. But since I am not an infinite perfect being, I don’t have enough objective reality to be  the cause. Only an infinite and perfect being could cause such an idea 6. So God a being with infinite objective reality must exist (and be the source of my idea  of God 7. An absolute perfect being is good benevolent being 8. So God is benevolent… 9. A benevolent God would not deceive me and would not permit me to error without me  giving me a way to correct my errors.  Augment 2 1. I exist 2. My existence must have a cause 3. The cause must be either i. Myself ii. My always having existed iii. My parents iv. Something less perfect than god v. God 4. Not i. if I had created myself I would have made myself perfect 5. Not ii. This does not solve the problem If I am a dependent being to be continually  sustained by another Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy 02/14/2013 6. Not iii. This leads to an infinite regress 7. Not iv. The idea of a perfect being that exists in me cannot have originated from a non  perfect being 8. Therefore God exists (and as an idea, he’s as clear and distinct as cogito.) He has to invoke God to insist he sees the way he thinks they actually are. He says God wouldn’t be  deceptive to him. We can trust our senses and we don’t need these skeptical doubts. Francis Bacon and the “New Science” Wait if this is the “new Organon, what was the old one? The Old Organon is the term used for Aristotle’s logic – the word means tool in Greek Bacon’s argument is that we need a “method” as opposed to using a pure reason to grasp premises and  then deduce “truths” You can trust your senses if repeatedly you can do the experiment He says ”I cannot be called on to abide by the sentence of tribunal which is itself on trial” His epitaph “Dissolve all compounds” get to the bottom of everything through the scientific method. ▯  Combination of inductive and deductive reasoning Archemedian point is god. From everything god exists from everything else there is God God wuldnt deceive you, its your fault not his and it all comes back because of that archemedian point,  u­ shaped argument. Prove gid and everything comes back in so you don’t have to doubt everything Niave idealism: we al see that rainbow as it actually is. Perception of the coffee  mug as it actually is.  Critical idealism David Hume: Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding 02/14/2013 Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding Along with Adam Smith and Thomas Reid, Hume is perhaps the most famous of the “Scottish  Enlightenment” He is perhaps the most famous empiricist “all knowledge comes from the senses” and ,as such, one of the  most famous skeptics we have good reason to doubt most of what we think we know He continues to point out his philosophy is important in its negative aspect What he means is the task of philosophy is to show the limits of our knowledge, not necessarily positing  what we know Kant will call this “critical philosophy” Show limitations of reason to leave room for faith Section 2: “Of the Origin of Ideas” All perceptions of the mind can be divided into two species based n “force and vivacity” Impressions (all our more lively immediate perceptions­, hearing, seeing, etc., willing, desiring, etc) Thoughts (ideas)(copies) All objects of human knowledge are thus Matters of fact (synthetically true by sense experience (a posteriori) and add to our knowledge) Some bachelors rock handlebar mustaches This doesn’t have to be true necessarily Only thing that can expand your knowledge Relations of Ideas (analytically true without need for investigation (a priori)) All bachelors are unmarried men Don’t have to do any research to prove this Concept of bachelor has concept of unmarried in it All of our ideas are nothing but copies of our impressions David Hume: Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding 02/14/2013 It is impossible for us to think of anything which we have not antecedently felt by either external or internal  senses Conclusion: when we entertain therefore any suspicion that a philosophical term is employed without any  meaning or idea (as is but too frequent), we need but inquire from what impression is that supposed idea  derived From what sense impression comes the idea of causation? Hume says we have no justification to think that causation exists All we have is custom/habit, the assumption that what has happened in the past will happen again Hume on Miracles Conclusions are founded on infallible experience he expects the event with the least degree of assurance  and regards his past as a full proof of future existence of that event Contest of 2 opposite experience of which one destroys the other. The same principle of experience that tell  us to believe the witnesses. The same principle of experience which gives us a certain degree of assurance  in the testimony of witnesses gives us also a degree o assurance against the fact facts acquired▯Induction▯laws and theories▯deduction▯ predictions and explanations religion based on testimony of those who witne
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3,4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit