OB Final Review Sheet A+.docx

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 4470
Professor
Christoph Richter

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 7 & 8 part 1 1. Models of decision making a. Decision making i. identifying and choosing solutions that lead to a desired result 2. Rational decision making model a. logical four-step approach to decision making. i. Identifying the problem ii. Generating alternative solutions iii. Selecting a solution iv. Implementing and evaluating the solution 3. (2) Question on slide 5 and all slides link to it (following slides) a. Identifying the Problem i. Problem – exists when the actual situation and the desired situation differ b. Generating Solutions i. For routine decisions alternatives are readily available through decision rules c. Selecting a Solution i. Evaluating alternatives assume they can be judged according to some criteria ii. Assumes valid criteria exists iii. Each alternative can be compared to these criteria iv. Decision maker actually uses the criteria d. Implementing and Evaluating the Solution i. After solution is implemented, the evaluation phase is used to evaluate its effectiveness ii. Optimizing – choosing the best possible solution 4. What conflict is a. one party perceives its interests are being opposed or set back by another party 5. Functional vs. dysfunctional conflict a. Functional conflict i. serves organization’s interests. b. Dysfunctional conflict i. threatens organization’s interests. 6. (2) Questions slide 13 and 14 a. Antecedents of Conflict i. Incompatible personalities or value systems. ii. Overlapping or unclear job boundaries. iii. Competition for limited resources. iv. Interdepartment/intergroup competition. v. Inadequate communication. vi. Interdependent tasks. vii. Organizational complexity viii. Unreasonable or unclear policies, standards, or rules. ix. Unreasonable deadlines or extreme time pressure. x. Collective decision making xi. Decision making by consensus. xii. Unmet expectations. xiii. Unresolved or suppressed conflict. 7. Why people avoid conflict a. Harm, Rejection, Loss of relationship,Anger, Being seen as selfish, Saying the wrong thing b. Failing, Hurting someone else, Getting what you want, Intimacy 8. Conflict iceberg slide 16 a. Chapter 7 & 8 part 2 1. (3) Questions on slide 3 -8 a. Decision making is characterized by: i. Limited information processing 1. Tendency to acquire manageable rather than optimal amounts of information 2. Difficult for managers to identify all possible alternative solutions ii. Use of judgmental heuristics 1. rules of thumb or shortcuts that people use to reduce information processing demands 2. Availability heuristic a. tendency to base decisions on information readily available in memory. 3. Representativeness heuristic a. tendency to assess the likelihood of an event occurring based on impressions about similar occurrences. iii. Satisficing 1. choosing a solution that meets a minimum standard 2. (2) Stages of the creative process a. process of using intelligence, imagination, and skill to develop a new or novel product, object, process, or thought b. actual stages i. Preparation ii. Concentration iii. Incubation iv. Illumination v. Verification 3. Group Involvement a. Minority dissent i. extent to which group members feel comfortable disagreeing with other group members, and the extent to which group members participate in decision making 4. Participative Management a. involving employees in various forms of decision making i. Setting goals ii. Making decisions iii. Solving problems iv. Making changes in the organization 5. (2) Gro
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit