Exam 3 Questions
1. Describe the classic “three generation model” of immigrants to the United States and their
2. Name two reasons, according to Suro, why the classic “three generation model” of US
immigrants and their descendants is no longer relevant to modern-day Hispanic immigrants/why
Suro believes that poor Hispanic immigrants are much less likely to rise out of poverty than
previous immigrants? (answer from class: immigrants are poorer than before, it is harder to live
on unskilled jobs in the post-industrial economy, geographic proximity to Latin America/back-
3. What is the hourglass economy?
4. How did general attitudes toward the Chinese change after WWII?
5. In 1943, the Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed. Why did no large-scale Chinese
6. Who said the following?
"They say there is a brain drain. Let these decayed brains flee. Do not mourn them, let them
pursue their own definitions of being. Is every brain with - what you call - science in it honorable?
Shall we sit and mourn the brains that escaped? Shall we worry about these brains fleeing to the
US and the UK? Let these brains