Astronomy
Course
CAS AS 101
Professor
Paul Withers
Semester
Fall

Description
AS 101: MANY MOONS OF JOVIAN PLANETS – CH 11 1 Objectives:  What kind of moons orbit the Jovian planets?  Why do liquids matter in the cold outer solar system?  How are icy worlds different than rocky worlds? I. Moons:  Over 150 moons of Jovian planets have been discovered.  Tidally Locked = Gravity forces on side of a body to always face the other body. [Ex: rotating around a planet and always facing it head on (not a rotation in rotation)] • Properties of moons:  Orbits, rotation, shapes  Formation and history, changes over time  Interior composition and heating, and geology  Atmospheric compositions and motions • Types of moons:  Small, medium, large  > 1500 km diameter = 6 moons (geologically active today)  300-1500 km diameter = 15 moons (geologically active in past)  <300 km diameter = Lots of moons (not active) • Planets and their moons:  Jupiter = 4 big moons, no medium-sized moons  Saturn = One big moon, many medium-sized moons  Uranus = No big moons, many medium moons  Neptune = One large moon (funny orbit) and one medium sized moon II. Jupiter’s Moons: The Galilean Moons  Io: Volcanoes  Europa: Tectonics, liquid water  Ganymede: Bigger than mercury  Callisto:Alot like terrestrial world (cratered) o I
More Less

Related notes for CAS AS 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit