Animal Test Review

7 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
CAS BI 107
Professor
Sean Mullen

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Animals • G.O.H.A.R.R.M o Growth, organization, homeostasis, adaptation, response to stimuli,  reproduction, movement • In order to stay alive they need to: o Obtain oxygen and nutrients o Fight of infection o Produce offspring • Natural Selection o Process in which organisms with certain inherited characteristics  are more likely to survive and produce off spring than organisms  with other characteristics • Form Vs Function o Form = Anatomy: the STRUCTURE of an organism o Function = Physiology: the processes and functions of organisms • Exchange with Environment o Animals need to exchange materials (food, O , 2 0)2with the  environment o sac body plan: body walls are only two cells thick, facilitating  diffusion of materials o complex organisms have highly folded internal surfaces for  exchanging materials o interstitial fluid: fills space between cells, allows for the  movement of material into and out of cells • Organization o Cells­tissues­organs­organ systems­organism • Tissues o Epithelial Tissue  covers the outside of the body and lines the organs and  cavities within the body  cells are closely joined (packed tightly together)  cuboidal (like dice), columnar (like bricks on end),  squamous (like floor tiles) • simple (single cell layer), stratified (multiple tiers  of cells), or pseudostratified (a single layer of cells  of varying length)  Cuboidal: • Dice shaped • Specialized for secretion • Epithelium of kidney tubules and many glands  Simple Columnar: • Lines intestines • Secretes digestive juices and absorbs nutrients  Pseudostratified ciliated columnar: • Forms a mucous membrane that lines nasal  passages  • Beating cilia move the film of mucous along the  surface  Simple squamous: • thin and leaky • Functions in exchange of material by diffusion • lines blood vessels and the air sacs of the lungs,  where diffusion of nutrients and gases is critical  Stratified squamous: • Regenerates rapidly by cell division near basal  lamina • New cells are pushed outward, replacing those that  are sloughed off • found on the surfaces subject to abrasion, such as;  outer skin, linings of the esophagus, anus and  vagina o Connective Tissue  Binds and supports other tissues  Contains sparsely packed cells scattered throughout an  extracellular matrix  Matrix consists of fibres in a liquid, jellylike, or solid  foundation  Connective Tissue Fibers: • Collagenous fibres: provide strength and flexibility • Elastic fibres: stretch and snap back to their  original length • Reticular fibres: join connective tissue to adjacent  tissues  Loose connective tissue: • Most widespread connective tissue  • Collagenous, elastic and reticular fibres bind  epithelia to underlying tissues and hold organs in  place  Cartilage: • Strong and flexible support material • chondroitin sulphate: rubbery matrix made of  protein­carbohydrate complex  • chondrocytes: secrete collagen and chondroitin  sulphate that make cartilage a strong yet flexible  support material  Fibrous connective tissue: • Dense with collagenous fibres • Found in tendons (attach muscles to bones),  ligaments (connect bones to bones)  Adipose tissue: • Stores fat in adipose cells distributed throughout its  matrix • Pads and insulates body and stores fuel as fat  molecules • Each cell contains a large fat droplet   Adipose tissue: stores fat for insulation and fuel  Blood: composed of blood cells and cell fragments in  blood plasma  Bone: mineralised and forms the skeleton  Bone: • Mineralised connective tissue • Osteoblasts: bone forming cells, deposit a matrix of  collagen  Blood: • Has a liquid extracellular matrix called plasma o The plasma contains:  Erythrocytes (red blood cells) –  carry oxygen  Leukocytes (white blood cells) –  immune system  Platelets – responsible for blood  clotting • Red Blood Cells o Transport oxygen • White Blood Cells o Involved in immunity o Muscle Tissue  Consists of long cells called muscle fibres  Three types:  • Skeletal muscle  • Smooth muscle  • Cardiac muscle  Skeletal muscle (striated muscle): • Voluntary muscle movements • Arrangement of contractile units (sarcomeres) give  cells a striped (striated) appearance  • Multiple  nuclei per cell • Attached to bones  Smooth muscle: • Lacks striations • Involuntary contraction: found in the walls of the  digestive tract, urinary bladder, arteries and other  internal organs • Single nucleus per cell  Cardiac Muscle: • Cells form contractile wall of the heart  • Striated • Involuntary • Cardiac muscle fibres branch and interconnect via  intercalated disks: relay signals from cell to cell 
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit