Study Guides (256,460)
US (126,370)
BU (4,557)
CAS AN (136)
CAS AN 102 (48)
All (36)
Final

Human Biology, Behavior, and Evolution Notes PART 22 [COMPLETE]: 90% on final!

4 Pages

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
CAS AN 102
Professor
All

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Modern Homo sapiens
Evolved in Africa around 160kya
Spread around world 100-50kya
Have longer limbs than Neandertals and other hominins
Vertical forehead
Small face with protruding chin
Less robust post-cranial skeleton
Smaller brow ridges and nose
Small incisors
Pyramidal mastoid process (behind ear)
Definite chin
Early Homo sapiens in Africa
Herto (Ethiopia)
160kya
More robust facial features than later anatomically modern humans
(AMHs)
Cranial capacity 1450 cc
Does not have Neandertal traits (midface prognathism, wide nasal
opening)
Early Homo sapiens in Near East
Skhul Cave (Israel)
115kya
High cranial vault
Small anterior teeth
1400cc
Homo sapiens in Europe
Cro-Magnon (France)
30kya
Small anterior teeth
Female skull has very modern appearance (very flat brow ridges)
Males more robust
Homo sapiens in Australia
Kow Swamp (Australia)
13kya
Cranial traits not as modern (receding forehead, pronounced brow ridges)
Postcranial traits very modern (slender, long limbed)

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Modern Homo sapiens Evolved in Africa around 160kya Spread around world 100-50kya Have longer limbs than Neandertals and other hominins Vertical forehead Small face with protruding chin Less robust post-cranial skeleton Smaller brow ridges and nose Small incisors Pyramidal mastoid process (behind ear) Definite chin Early Homo sapiens in Africa ⁃ Herto (Ethiopia) ⁃ 160kya ⁃ More robust facial features than later anatomically modern humans (AMHs) ⁃ Cranial capacity 1450 cc ⁃ Does not have Neandertal traits (midface prognathism, wide nasal opening) Early Homo sapiens in Near East ⁃ Skhul Cave (Israel) ⁃ 115kya ⁃ High cranial vault ⁃ Small anterior teeth ⁃ 1400cc Homo sapiens in Europe ⁃ Cro-Magnon (France) ⁃ 30kya ⁃ Small anterior teeth ⁃ Female skull has very modern appearance (very flat brow ridges) ⁃ Males more robust Homo sapiens in Australia ⁃ Kow Swamp (Australia) ⁃ 13kya ⁃ Cranial traits not as modern (receding forehead, pronounced brow ridges) ⁃ Postcranial traits very modern (slender, long limbed) Homo sapiens contemporaneous with other hominins for a portion of time • Complete Replacement Model ⁃ Out of Africa model ⁃ Homo sapiens arose in Africa ⁃ First wave: H. erectus moved out of Africa into Asia and Europe ⁃ H. heidelbergensis moved into Europe and evolved into Neandertals ⁃ Second wave: AMHs move into Europe and Asia, replacing other hominins ⁃ Distinct species, did not interbreed with existing hominins • • Partial Replacement Model • - Same as complete replacement but they did interbreed with existing hominins • • Regional Continuity Model • - Homo sapiens evolved independentally in all parts of the world • - Ancestors were hominins who previously occupied these regions - Multiregional model - Entensive gene flow made us one species Study of living people to determine Most
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit