Study Guides (258,787)
US (127,048)
BU (4,639)
CAS AR (90)
CAS AR 100 (71)
All (48)
Final

COMPLETE Great Discoveries in Archaeology Notes: Part 5 - 4.0ed the final exam!

6 Pages

Department
Archaeology
Course Code
CAS AR 100
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Neolithic 02/11/2014
Mesolithic- period after the Ice Ages when populations were practicing
moving away from big game hunting
begin to experiment around with new plants and animals
Broad Spectrum Substistence- experimenting with new foods
The Neolithic (new stone age) occurs after the last glacial episode (start of the Holocene)
development of agriculture
Primary center- places where the domestication of plants and animals took place
old world: near east, east Asia, sub-Saharan Africa
New World: Mexico, northwestern South America and eastern North America
Theories on the Origins of Agriculture
Any theory devised to explain the origins of agriculture must explain:
Why plant and animal domestication occurred at roughly the same time in several different parts of the
world?
Why did this transformation occur in such a brief period- a few thousand years in the vast span of human
existence?
The Neolithic represents a dramatic transformation
*know what plants and animals were domesticated in each of
these areas
Reserchers tend to focus on the Near East (the Fertile Crescent) when it comes to plant and animal
domestication
The Fertile Crescent
Bordering the Zagros and Tautus Mtns.
Animals domesticated: goats, pigs, sheep, grasses
The Mesolithic in the Near East
The final Mesolithic culture in the area where agriculture first appeared in the world is called the Natufian
(11,000-9000 BC)
Ain Mallaha, Isreal: A Natufian Village
During this period, there was more tainfall, an increase in population and the emergence of permanent
communities (Sedentism) before domestication (opposite of the New World)
Site located at a spring in the Jordan Valley of Isreal
Round Houses
Storage bins
More elaborate material cultural and early trade
Querns for processing plants
Ground stone plates, bowls, mortars and pestles
Carved limestone figurines
Rich flaked stone tool assemblage
Animals: wild pig, deer, cattle, horse, gazelle, fish
Graves
Collective burial pits
Grave goods are rare
Few status differences

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Neolithic 02/11/2014 Mesolithic­ period after the Ice Ages when populations were practicing  moving away from big game hunting begin to experiment around with new plants and animals Broad Spectrum Substistence­ experimenting with new foods The Neolithic (new stone age) occurs after the last glacial episode (start of the Holocene) development of agriculture Primary center­ places where the domestication of plants and animals took place old world: near east, east Asia, sub­Saharan Africa New World: Mexico, northwestern South America and eastern North America Theories on the Origins of Agriculture Any theory devised to explain the origins of agriculture must explain: Why plant and animal domestication occurred at roughly the same time in several different parts of the  world? Why did this transformation occur in such a brief period­ a few thousand years in the vast span of human  existence? The Neolithic represents a dramatic transformation *know what plants and animals were domesticated in each of  these areas Reserchers tend to focus on the Near East (the Fertile Crescent) when it comes to plant and animal  domestication The Fertile Crescent Bordering the Zagros and Tautus Mtns.  Animals domesticated: goats, pigs, sheep, grasses The Mesolithic in the Near East The final Mesolithic culture in the area where agriculture first appeared in the world is called the Natufian  (11,000­9000 BC) ‘Ain Mallaha, Isreal: A Natufian Village During this period, there was more tainfall, an increase in population and the emergence of permanent  communities (Sedentism) before domestication (opposite of the New World) Site located at a spring in the Jordan Valley of Isreal Round Houses  Storage bins More elaborate material cultural and early trade Querns for processing plants Ground stone plates, bowls, mortars and pestles Carved limestone figurines Rich flaked stone tool assemblage Animals: wild pig, deer, cattle, horse, gazelle, fish Graves Collective burial pits Grave goods are rare Few status differences Abu Hureyra, Syria 02/11/2014 Northwest of Red Sea Early Neolithic site Evidence of hearding and farming in the Near East Natufian climate was warmer and wetter at first Oak and pistachio 200­300 people year round occupation climate shifts to co
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit