1. Heating of the inner portions of the earth result from fusion of hydrogen atoms
2. Planet Earth had very little atmosphere at the time of its formation true
3. Water on planet earth initially arrived from comets true
4. A rock sample from Saturn if brought back to Earth would be much heavier
than any common Earth rock false
5. The Solar System is not expanding today.
6. The Universe is expanding today.
7. Most of the craters on the Earth’s moon date back to 4.0 for more billion years
8. Edwin Hubble confirmed the theory of an expanding universe.
9. Mars has an atmosphere at 0.7% of that of Earth and is mostly CO2.
10. Venus has an atmosphere 90x heavier than Earth and is mostly CO2.
11. Galaxies have a reddish color due to “the Doppler Effect” of moving away.
12. The origin of the universe is called the big bang theory.
13. The universe formed 13.7 billion years ago.
14. Our solar system’s “great mopup” occurred 4.5 billion years ago.
15. The fuel of stars is hydrogen.
16. The fuel of planets and their moons is radioactive energy. Fission
17. The oldest rock on earth is 4.0 billion years old.
18. The early earth atmosphere is mostly made of carbon, dioxide, water, and
19. Relative to the age of earth, the fraction of time that humans have existed is .
20. Early heating of the Earth all of the above.
21. Early life on Earth began all of the above.
22. The cretaceoustertiary extinction all of the above. 23. Humans on earth all of the above.
24. The current population on our planet is over 7 billion.
25. Earth’s early atmosphere came from volcanoes.
26. The core of the earth is principally made of iron.
27. The converting zone of partial melt in the mantle is termed the asthenosphere.
28. The oldest rocks within the continents date back 4 billion years.
29. One of the first forms of life includes bacteria, algae.
30. The radioactive fuel of Earth is U, Th, and K.
31. Sub duction zone earthquakes TRUE
32. Ocean crust is oldest at the ocean ridges and becomes progressively younger
with distance from the ridge. FALSE
33. The longest mountain range of the Earth is mostly underwater. TRUE
34. Transform faults connect ends of offset ocean ridges. TRUE
35. Both the Red Sea and the golf of California are the recent result of rifting and
sea floor spreading. TRUE
36. Rifting of Gondwanaland resulted in the formation of Laurasia and Pangaea.
37. The present site of the Ural Mountains represents the demise of a long lost
38. A convergent plate boundary is marked by volcanism, compressional
deformation, and an inclined zone of earthquakes.
39. A plate boundary is one marked by volcanism, extension and shallow
40. The Mediterranean is a remnant of the Tethys sea.
41. Volcanic island above because the earth is round.
42. Continents and island arcs grow in size are zones of subduction by the dual
process of and accretion.
43. The wedge of sediments accumulating off shore of a rifted continental margin
is known as a geocline. 44. The author of the theory of Continental Drift as also shot twice in WW1, set
an air balloon record in 1906, wrote the book “The Origin of the Continents
and Oceans” in 1925, and later died in a 1930 expedition in Greenland where
his remains continue buries in ice. He was Albert Wagner.
45. Most of the Earths s