CAS PO 111 (33)

Courts Lecture - Midterm 2.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston University
Political Science
CAS PO 111
Graham Wilson

PO 111: COURTS 1 Lecture on supreme courts (Sheri’s Notes) Fundamental Question • is judicial power compatible with democracy? • no accountability, but have great power • stare decises o it’s already been decided • precedent does not always bind the supreme court • enough ambiguity to give judges freedom and an impact Limitation of Power of Courts • as liberal I have my preferences but president and congress elected, so I usually defer to their judgment whenever I can • constitutional justification getting in way of social reform o congress cannot delegate powers of legislating to an agency • don’t allow congress power to delegate then limiting ??? • socioeconomic legislation o not get in way of maximum work hours or the banning of child labor o does this mean that they are going to agree to everything that the congress does Not an antidote to controversy • civil liberties- Miranda- soft on crime o is there a degree to which this should be followed when danger is more imminent o warren court felt they were soft on crimes and criminals • sex- Griswold v. Connecticut, bakke and the “the right to privacy.” where does that right come from? o the way they get into sex is through saying that there is a right to privacy o nowhere in constitution does it say there is a right to privacy or protection from invasion into personal life o Griswold v. Connecticut  implicit right to privacy  bill of rights protects people against illegal searches and having troops quarter your house • saying that there is an area in your life that the government cannot step in  right of married couples to use contraceptives  test case • challenge the law to prove they should have right to privacy o hardwick case 1 PO 111: COURTS 2  states can still make sodomy a criminal offense  power in hands of state to ban o in Lawrence case  they changed their precedence  homosexual and heterosexuals are both granted right to privacy o roe v. wade  gave women the right to legally chose abortions  one of last examples of activist period in supreme court history  under some conditions and stages in pregnancy a woman has the own right to her body and should be granted the right to privacy • law steps in during the last trimester • race: what is the role of the courts in achieving racial justice? From Brown to bussing and its limitations. Can courts changeAmerica? o should supreme court be involved in protecting minorities o brown v board  seg
More Less

Related notes for CAS PO 111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.